The Prestigious Europa League 2019/2020 thread

no
they get paid as they enter each phase
there was very important coefficient points gained tho with the win…

well - part time really is a player decision
if you can afford to live off the wages then you’re full time
Hery no doubt would have the full whack - apartment and contract
all their players would be on 44 or 52 week contracts like LOI and no doubt a few of them are like David Macmillan who work 15 20 hours a week in the background when dundalk were playing in the group stages
Irish League is a very very poor standard of football - that result truly is remarkable

If you combined the two leagues how many from the North would be in a premier of say 12 teams?

0-0

ok back of an envelope
in LOI today Dundalk / SRFC/ Derry and miraculously Bohs who really part time btw (their skipper works in AIB) are a country mile ahead of sligo/finn harps / cork and the really regressed waterford and UCD who have lost players over the season (waterford were badly impacted as they had budgeted for europa league also - hence having to relesase Hery) and UCD as they do are a feeder club for everyone else.
Up north Linfield and Crusaders are way ahead of anything - clubs like cliftonville glentoran, etc are like your sligos and fin harps - the you’d have ballinamallard and coleraine who would be like bray

Something like an 8-4 split would be a true reflection but 7-5 if this to happen. No way 6-6.

1 Like

shels are LOI first div - they are the same standard as Sligo / Harpss in prem div who would the same as cliftonville or dungannon

you could pile bottom 6 LOI / bottom 8 to 10 of NI prem and top 4 LOI div 1 into 1 league and you wouldnt know the difference

They’d probably have to split division 1 I’d say into North and South, can’t see the likes of Cobh being able to afford 10+ trips to Larne or Coleraine etc.
Would the likes of Harps then join the Northern division. Be good craic for a year anyway if nothing else.

Linfield vs the Dublin clubs would be box office

jesus no - cobh can barely afford to play at home
the setanta cup was great until 2008 - that cork glentoran final was absolute box office stuff- packed house on a Saturday night
you had the fans and then fellas like @Rocko along for a sectarian fix - great stuff - novelty wore off tho

2 Likes

Ballinamalard tried to sign me on numerous occasions.

2 Likes

Thought you were with Kesh for a while?

Armagh mainly.

You ducked them?

how bad a club are Glenavon from a spectator point of view
is it just the utter dgenerates from Lurgan who support them?

This isn’t true I’m afraid.

They get points for round progression. Individual match results do not count.

woh !!
this is a staggering development
i thought the coefficient incremented for winning games at various stages (weighted by stages obviously)?

I think that’s what used to happen.

You still get points based on W/D/L in the group stages of both competitions, but then otherwise it’s all about round progression and not about individual leg results.

I think having people dropping from CL to EL complicated things because it gave teams extra matches and so they had to revise the scoring to basically just reward what round you got to.

It all seems reasonable until you look at this year and see that Liverpool have 4 points for reaching the Group stages and Cluj would get the same 4 points if they had to win 4 ties to get there.

1 Like

Great post thanks rocko

1 Like

Like all UEFA competitions the system is stacked to keep the top teams on top.
This Nations League is the greatest scam of all time, ring fence the top countries so they qualify everytime with a few pity places snuck in for the lower teams to keep them quiet