The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

Gerry Thornley loves “the fields”

This is a point I’ve long made. The CelticRaboPro14URC is a glorified player management exercise.

The Top Quatorze is serious business. Preparation evens out at a World Cup because it comes off the back of pre-season for the northern hemisphere teams while the southern hemisphere teams aren’t going full tilt in their seasons in World Cup years, they’re building up to the World Cup.

I agree too about Sexton. He has to be there or the whole thing risks falling apart. It isn’t just for what he provides in terms of play but the whole leader of the group thing. I’m sorry but Ross Byrne being put in to start against New Zealand or possibly even Scotland has disaster written all over it, just like Ian Madigan against Argentina was a car crash waiting to happen.

James Lowe’s defensive abilities aren’t that much beyond Dave Kearney’s either.

2 Likes

Just seeing there thst Ireland won the slammer. No 1 in the world heading into a WC? They’ve no excuses now.

Whatever about raw ability with Sexton there are intangibles too in terms of leadership, respect he commands from referees, directing affairs, minimum standards and being able to adjust mid game. He is quick witted and has a bit of an acerbic tongue calling the game or refereeing decisions that should be made. You earn a certain gravitas after so many caps, points and wins. He doesnt give a shit. You wont get that with Ross Byrne as he has to prove he cuts the mustard and it will be up to other players to pick up the slack.

6 Likes

Thought Ireland were lucky not to be down to 14 with this hit. It seemed more pre meditated than than the Steward one. The application of the rule is bonkers. They will have to sort it out ahead of the world cup. For an impact like Stewards where he was trying to get out of the way and there is some doubt there should be a different adjudication. A double sin binning of 20 mins or something. Its just farcical in terms of consistency.

1 Like

I’m as anti Oirish rugby as the next fella but I’m baffled at the defence of the English lad who was sent off.

He probably isn’t that kind of player but he turned his shoulder and his elbow into an oncoming player.

Rugby is a simple enough game and if he had enough time to turn his side like a coward he’d enough time to stay straight and make some attempt to tackle safely.

The Irish lad was knocked clane out sure.

Thought in general the targeting of Sexton with late tackles is distasteful and was poorly reffed.

It’s a funny old game.

3 Likes

What are we looking for here? If Paddy wanted to hurt the English lad here he would have. Reckon the camera angle is making it look worse. Can’t see a red card in it.

I’d love to see the stats on outcome of results if a player is sent off in the first half of

1 - A hurling game
2 - A Gaelic Football game
3 - A game of rugby
4 - A game of soccer

@Ceist

I’m afraid you’ve reached this week’s quota for bot interactions

I’d love to see the stats on outcome of results if a player is sent off in the first half of

1 - A hurling game
2 - A Gaelic Football game
3 - A game of rugby
4 - A game of soccer

@Ceist

I’ve never interacted with you before.

3 Likes

You’re a bot of a cunt.

15 Likes

@Ceist is @binkybarnes the biggest cunt you’ve ever engaged with?

1 Like

The hurling and Gaelic football answers are a bit wishy washy. Not sure those stats below entirely make sense either.

Rugby
Yes, there have been studies and analyses conducted on the impact of a red card in the first half of a rugby game. While the exact impact can vary depending on the specific circumstances of each game, there are some general trends and statistics that have been observed.

According to a study by World Rugby, teams that receive a red card in the first half of a rugby game are less likely to win the game than teams that don’t receive a red card. Specifically, the study found that:

• Teams that receive a red card in the first half of a game have a 12% chance of winning the game, compared to a 56% chance of winning for teams that don’t receive a red card.
  • Teams that receive a red card in the first half of a game have a 19% chance of drawing the game, compared to a 11% chance of drawing for teams that don’t receive a red card.
  • Teams that receive a red card in the first half of a game have a 69% chance of losing the game, compared to a 33% chance of losing for teams that don’t receive a red card.

It’s important to note that these statistics are based on a sample of games and don’t necessarily reflect the outcome of every game in which a red card is shown in the first half. The impact of a red card can also depend on factors such as the scoreline at the time of the sending off, the quality of the opposition, and the tactics employed by each team. Additionally, rugby is a sport where teams with fewer players can still mount a successful defense and even score points, so the impact of a red card may not always be as significant as in other sports.

Soccer
Yes, there have been studies and analyses conducted on the impact of a red card in the first half of a soccer game. While the exact impact can vary depending on the specific circumstances of each game, there are some general trends and statistics that have been observed.

According to a study by FootballPredictions.com, teams that receive a red card in the first half of a soccer game are less likely to win the game than teams that don’t receive a red card. Specifically, the study found that:

• Teams that receive a red card in the first half of a game have a 72% chance of losing the game, compared to a 49% chance of losing for teams that don’t receive a red card.
  • Teams that receive a red card in the first half of a game have a 17% chance of drawing the game, compared to a 27% chance of drawing for teams that don’t receive a red card.
  • Teams that receive a red card in the first half of a game have an 11% chance of winning the game, compared to a 24% chance of winning for teams that don’t receive a red card.

It’s important to note that these statistics are based on a sample of games and don’t necessarily reflect the outcome of every game in which a red card is shown in the first half. The impact of a red card can also depend on factors such as the scoreline at the time of the sending off, the quality of the opposition, and the tactics employed by each team.

2 Likes

The full all time stats:

Hurling sendings off in the first half
Eamonn Scallan Wexford v Limerick 1996 - won
John Dalton Kilkenny v Dublin 2011 League final - lost

Gaelic football
Colm O’Neill Cork v Meath 1990 - won
Tony Davis Cork v Derry 1993 - lost
Jonny Cooper Dublin v Kerry 2019 - drew

Association football
Jens Lehmann Arsenal v Barcelona 2006 - lost
Gianluca Pagliuca Italy v Norway 1994 - won
Some Uruguayan against Scotland after 2 minutes in 1986 - drew (which was effectively a win)

Rugby
Sam Warburton Wales v France 2011 - lost
Ellis Genge England v Ireland 2022 - lost
Peter O’Mahony - Ireland v Wales 2021 - lost
Sonny Bill Williams New Zealand v British Lions 2017 - lost
Jared Payne Ulster v some team in 2013 - lost

2 Likes

Did Ireland win in South Africa when Munsters own CJ Stander got the line, he was nit that type of player