The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

Gaelic football:
Brian Mullins and Ray Hazley Dublin v Galway 1983 - won
Seamus McCallan and Pascal Canavan Tyrone v Derry 1995 - won

You forget the Duffer there.

Sent off in the second half and we’re only talking about first half sendings off here.

I could have included Tomas Tierney for Galway as he was sent off in the first half.

Two more are
Kevin Foley - Meath v Dublin 1988 League final replay - won (easily)
Gerry McEntee - Meath v Cork 1988 All-Ireland replay - won

Also John Cunningham Donegal v Derry 1992 - won

Gaelic football seems to be a great sport to get a player sent off in the first half in.

Fair enough. I suspected that was the answer.

Aran gillane v cork in 2018. Result draw.

Greg Kennedy Galway v Kilkenny 2001 - won

Brian O’Meara and Liam Dunne were sent off in the first half of the other semi-final replay.

I’m nearly sure bubbles o dywer got send off in the first half of a championship game v Limerick and tipp won easy. I’m going to say it was 2016. Dan Morrissey started at full back the same day.

1 Like

2016 somebody got sent off for Tipp in the first half of that alright. I watched that in Bordeaux and spent most of the match on a stool in an Irish pub listening in to the conversation of two Limerick guys about six feet away from me who I think were @Thomas_Brady and @Phil_Leotardo. I’m pretty sure they were thinking I was @Bisto.

3 Likes

Bubbles was sent off after 15 minutes in 2016 alright.

The 2012 Harty Cup Quarter Final saw Dungarvan Colleges lose a man before the ball was thrown in yet they still dumped out a Tony Kelly/Shane O’Donnell/Peter Duggan inspired St Flannans by a point in an epic in Tipp Town.

I went to my first ever rugby game today. It will probably be my last.

It reminded me of the england v Ireland soccer friendly in Wembley.

No bite. No real atmosphere.

I have a lot of respect for the Irish rugby players now though. They actually seem a decent bunch of lads.

3 Likes

Pat Horgan Cork v Limerick 2013 - lost

1 Like

Didnt Tommy Carr see red for drawing a boot across Brian Murray in a league final ?

Yes - and Dublin won

Noel McGrath Loughmore Castleiney v Ballygunner 2021 - lost
Some Portlaoise guy early in the 2010 All-Ireland club football semi-final v @KIB_man - lost

I had a great night. Big non eloquent report tomorrow.

2 Likes

I was in a pub in Bordeaux watching that Tipp Limerick match myself surrounded by a load of Limerick cunts. A great day. Not sure if we had to pay a tenner for the privilege mind. Could be mixing up with some other event. Watching Tipp Limerick matches in France always lead to a positive outcome. Took one in at Lourdes before and Bourgoin. Must plan another trip back soon.

1 Like

I was in Lourdes the day of the Tipp Cork replay in 1991. We got talking to a London Irish fella of Tipp background that night who said he was waiting on the result of that game, while I told him I was waiting for the result of the Dublin v Kilkenny Leinster final. Ringing home was a big deal in those days. In Germany in 1990 I didn’t find out the result of the Tipp-Cork Munster final until we went into an Irish pub in Munich on the Wednesday night to ask if anybody knew the result.

I can recall an article by Fiona Looney where she said she was on holiday in 2003 and was getting frequent text message updates on the score of the Dublin v Armagh qualifier and how it demonstrated the amazing power of technology. Text messaging scores on a Nokia seems fairly quaint now.

4 Likes

He would. He’s better than Lowe and he’s not a gurning cunt.

I also watched that match in a pub in Bordeaux, I think it was the last Limerick Championship experience I missed.

An absolutely miserable game, don’t think it got much worse than that from a Limerick pov. Even losing to them in 2009, at least that was in an All-Ireland semi-final… what excuses did we have after Bubbles went off?

The football game in Bordeaux wasn’t much better tbh.

He was hurt actually. It’s a statement about the depth of Scottish rubby that they didn’t take him off.