The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

After all the hype about the Scots they still ended up with another 3/5 campaign. I said a while ago here after a visit to Murrayfield that I admired their enthusiastic support because the last 23 years have been devoid of anything other than mediocrity for them. During the week I heard a Scot refer to Russell and Hogg as their golden generation and worrying that they’ll run out of time to win silverware. If they constitute a golden generation then somethings seriously gone astray.

By the letter of the law a clear red but was little he could do. The only thing I’d say is he decided to turn his hip to protect himself and in doing so put Keenan out of the game and should that be OK? I think the fact we had knocked on the ball should have been a mitigating factor as that changed the pattern of game in that split second…

Youl have lads giving out about that red here though who spend all their time also giving out about concussion in the sport :man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

You were probably laser focused on the gee gees last weekend tbf

Would huw get the start when ringrose is injured or wot

They do that in super rugby. If you could implement it around intent it would be a good idea. But that’s v subjective. Like 20 mins would have been loads for steward yday… A yellow would have been grand too but refs painted into corner now.

And ultimately I’d say the refs are waiting for the day they get pulled into the lawsuit for not protecting players on pitch. It’s already crystal clear to refs at local level that they are personally liable for any errors at scrum time or where fellas aren’t removed from pitch when they get a bang in the head (IMO it works well fwiw… There is far less red cards in amateur game but also far less bangs in the head)

Yes. Paddy Jackson greatest day in green

Sure he shouldered the lad straight into the face. If he did that by accident he deserves a red for being a clumsy cunt.

1 Like

The fella ran straight into his elbow. Rugby is a strange sport

If Hego did it lads would want him sent to Van Diemens land

Yes but Hego is a tramp

1 Like

If there was an annoying Tipp lad by the window who would not shut up then it was us (we were sitting quietly at the bar i must ad)
Bubbles was sent off. Limerick still lost but tides was slowly slowly turning.
It was a small Irish bar near the water. Not the Connemara or wherever everyone else was :+1:

You could argue that Ireland have beaten everyone and are firm favourites for the world cup.
You could equally argue that they peaked a few months ago, that the all blacks and SA will be better, France have played by far the most sublime rugby in recent weeks, and Ireland struggled over the worst English team in recent memory playing at home with a man advantage for most of the game, along with a few nudges from the officials.
We’ll find out soon enough.
If Ireland win the RWC they’ll have earned it that’s for sure. The draw wasn’t kind.

2 Likes

France struggled over the line v Italy only a few weeks ago too and were well beaten by Ireland. It could be that France peaked last year. We will know a lot more about them when they face the all blacks. I would not be shocked to see the French lose that one by a score or two.

The red card was a pity but Ireland had turned the screw in the last twenty minutes of the first half. England had some early moments but outside of a few of them making extra yards at the gain line, they weren’t really making line breaks. Ireland’s defense had them sussed. England were giving away a lot penalties as they were under more pressure.

Ireland should probably have taken a few of those penalties, in particular the one before halftime. Stretching the lead to 7 against a 14 man England who couldn’t score a try would have been nice. That said, the extremely aggressive approach got more tries and had the game done before the final 15 minutes.

England will take heart that their bludgeoning approach can make them compete and they’ll probably employ that at the World Cup. Can’t see them winning it that way though. Ireland will hopefully just keep doing what they are doing and at least be competitive with an awful draw.

It’s all about the Grand Slam though, what a delight.

2 Likes

This is the best Irish rugby team I have ever seen

1 Like

A lot of bemoaning of 'the draw ’ for the WC.

Ireland are world no.1. no draw should be daunting… They have to deliver now.

5 Likes

We should not be afraid of anyone ffs, its them who should be afraid

2 Likes

Exactly. Lads here carrying too many scars… Ireland are the best in the world,no more about it.

3 Likes

This Irish team is feared, here on the mainland they are respected, especially under Andy Farrell.

1 Like