The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

That’ll suit Ireland. He gets rested and his replacement gets experience in late season pressure games

1 Like

Just read the concussion watch thread alright. I’m just hoping to see Leinster in European Cup final instead of 2 SAffer clubs cause I have a ticket…

Possibly but I’d say he’s finished. An injury at this stage is a disaster for him. Anytime out and he could be completely lost coming back.

No way. he’ll be first name picked

I thought he’s looked miles off where he was. Twas noticeable v La Rochelle last year when Leinster needed him.

He’ll still be picked but that doesn’t mean he’ll be good enough.

He was plenty good enough in the 6 nations. We wouldn’t have won against england without him I thought.

Sheer competitiveness was noticeable and that drive will ensure he will be on the plane

1 Like

I thought he made a few basis errors v England. His kicking out of hand is pathetic too.

At that age it can go from you over night.

That’s been off for a long while. He misses touch from a penalty id say at least once a match, maybe every second one

What drove me demented is why he was kicking to right hand touch when you’ve Lowe’s howitzer left boot that is employed elsewhere for kicking duties

1 Like

Tell me about it

Watching Harry Byrne against the Stormers, itwas the best he had played in a while. He is very very talented. Id say he will be starting 10 for Leinster post world cup. His place kicking isn’t great relatively, but I would be very wary of Ross Byrne against the likes of LaRochelle; especially if Leinster find themselves behind.

The lad Prendergast will retire them all anyway.

1 Like

Ross Byrne isn’t even the best fly half in his own house

He’s a class act. Really really good. But been hampered by injuries a fair bit already. If he can overcome that and get consistent game time, we’ve a serious talent on our hands. Game time so important in the development of a 10, arguably more important than any other position.

Saw tony butler play on Saturday. dejected he looks. Season previous he was unreal in same.fixture. young boy bossing them around. He had brilliant game management and maturity for such a young guy. Talking to Garryowen heads, they say he’s gone backwards and a lot of that is due to being behind a pack being belted from start to finish of the season.

Paddy Jackson playing brilliant over in LI. they’ve gone from bottom of the table to top 4.

Imagine a scenario like the AB’s where what’s his name Donald was out fishing and got the call as they’d blown through all the out half stocks. Be an interesting debate!

It’s a funny game.

2 Likes

Ben Healy should have held out

1 Like

I could see him getting absolutely smashed in these knockout games coming up. He’ll get the experience, but there’ll definitely instances where he will be exposed and the timing could be bad for him. He is lucky Carberry seems to have thrown his hat at it, Crowley looks the most complete of the Sexton backups to me, with the pace he does things at. RB is too slow of hand and foot really.

Ball burst. Go home.

1 Like

Franno did a goodish article on it, ‘good’ but not good enough was the gist of it and ultimately, with Russell’s age, he’s probably played his hand fairly well, but he’ll never win anything.

I can’t think of too many ball playing 10s other than larkham to lift the webb ellis. From the likes of fox and lynagh to Wilkinson and whatever saffer you want, always seems the more conservative style 10 is at the helm.

That’s why I couldn’t see Crowley getting 2nd spot yet. He’s unreal talent but probably too maverick still.

1 Like

Whenever Ive seen LI, Jackson has been excellent. I’d say he is probably the best Irish ten now, not that it means anything.

I couldn’t get over how young that Garryowen team was this year, wouldn’t have done TB any good. Thought he was factored into the Healy thing a bit. Still only 20 or 21 so plenty time. The Munster 10 job looks wide open right now.

1 Like

If Sexton isn’t there, I can’t see Ireland getting over the last 8.

Crowley is nmore for the next world cup as you say.

Carberry steered Ireland home in loads of big games, but physically he looks to have fallen off a cliff with all the injuries. Some of his kicking out if hand is just cat, can’t seem to generate any power. Zip is totally gone out of him.

Carberry looked way off against Glasgow on Saturday. A man trying to find the magic beans that had him at his peak.

Sadly, not sure he finds it. As I said above, consistent gametime so important at 10 and he’s too many large chunks of missed time I think. Hopefully wrong but seems to be leaning that way

2 Likes