The Rugby Thread (Part 2)

If they meet in a European cup semi final it’s the only game that really does stop Ireland.

Hurling counties are too similar. Kerry v Dublin has lost its lure.

Munster v Leinster captures everything in the right setting.

@Cheasty had a few magnificent posts on this topic.

They’ll fill it

Rds is undergoing some works but plenty other URC games happening in aviva so I’d say they have just taken a view on selling out croker

Most usual Ireland aren’t playing in the Aviva the Thursday or the Monday of that weekend.

From what I can see everyone is home and away bar Ireland.

So Croke Park could sell out for 2x Rugby matches in 2024 along with 5 or 6 concerts and only manage to break 50k for 5 GAA Matches all year - 2X All Ireland Finals, 2x Football Semi Finals, 1x Hurling Semi Final.

Compare that to 2017 when Croke Park broke the 50k barrier 12 times throughout the year for GAA specific events - National League Football Final, Leinster Football Final, Leinster Hurling Final, 2x Football Quarter Final double headers, 2x Hurling Semi Finals, 3x Football Semi Finals (including replay) and 2x All Ireland Finals.

And the split season zealots tell us that this is progress :grimacing:

1 Like

5 of those 12 games in 2017 involved Mayo iirc. Of course attendances were high

Football has self-combusted and Wexford didn’t make the Leinster Final are the reasons here.

1 Like

Toulouse and La Rochelle on here…Toulouse are like a test team (without Dupont tonight)

Standard and pace they are playing at it frightening. Trevor Brennans young fella in 2nd row for Toulouse he looks like he is going to be a sensational player

1 Like

There was a afaik 19 year old number 8 playing for Lyons last night looked like a beast. Had a great game the bit I saw.

That was the Bordeaux 8 I’d say he played France 20s last year.he was brilliant…I watched that as well to see Carbery

Playing in white.
Carvery getting a game fair play. Still misses kicks he shouldn’t.

Tough to kick when lads are pouring gravy over you…

5 Likes

Munster roaster.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1835608312840343588?s=46

Poor fella is made of glass

He is a hardy hardy boy all the same. French rugby is not for the faint hearted.

You’d be much happier doing your rehab in the South of France at the same time

2 Likes

Willie Ryan’s appetite for rugby big enough to weather English club game’s bleak finances

Decent read. Seems a nice man.

Massive congrats to Raeburn Shield holders Ireland on once again becoming the world’s number 1 ranked rubby union team.

6 Likes

He was a brilliant player in school. Good read.

#4yearcycle