The Rugby Thread (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from The Rugby Thread (Part 1) - #10016 by Tim_Riggins.

Previous discussions:

Which will end first, this thread or rugby?

Let’s see.

Off ye go lads

@Tim_Riggins Whats the deal with your obsession with girls soccer? You want to compare injuries in the sports, fair enough. Why not compare like for like? Male professional footballers with male professional rugby players. The survey says, footballers are 3.5 times more likely than normal folk to suffer motor neuron diseases. Rugby lads are 15 times more likely.

1 Like

So you are saying 3.5x is an acceptable level of risk?

I haven’t read the new study, but I’d agree with you here. Rugby is just innately more dangerous, its perceptible.

Re the study, its American I think.

• Kids, especially American kids are malingerers. There is a litigous culture there with parents also prone to fixed ideations
  • Highschool Football is big business over there, so its advantagous to conflate it with girls soccer in terms of danger

The results of that study don’t pass the eye test.

So you use bias rather than cold hard studies.

The lengths that lads on here are rather amusing. The feigning of concern on concussions in rugby whilst exposing their daughters to contact sports.

Quite clearly not what im saying. I’m saying rugby is more dangerous with regard to brain injuries than football. It’s the same point ive had since the start. Did you play a lot of rugby yourself?

1 Like

Well to be clear- what you said was the below.

It was demonstrably false so you moved on.

Why is 3.5x an acceptable level of risk for MND in footballers? Simply enough question.

Quite a weird take on things you have here. A stout defence of letting lads play while admonishing lads for letting girls play contact sports. It’s a strange misogynist tactic.

1 Like

I don’t think people should worry about letting their kids play rugby, especially young kids. They’re not moving quick enough to generate the force to do harm and most kids never will aspire to a level where thats an issue

Health wise, parents should probably be more worried about their kids growing spending 60-hours-a-week looking at a spreadsheet for 40 years of their lives but fuck it, gotta do something.

1 Like

Demonstrably false in what manner? Plenty of surveys say the opposite. Your survey is the only survey on the matter that counts and no other scientific trial should be introduced as evidence? As in, you just want any conflicting evidence to be false?

Was this survey based on people reporting feeling symptoms of concussion? How did they come to their conclusion?

Quite fair. But the study is the study.

It appears that women’s necks make them more disposed to concussions make them just as disposed as boys who play more “contact” sports like American football.

We don’t know how that will impact on women in time as female sports participation has seen an exponential increase in the last couple of decades. We arguably have a century plus on male contact sports as a hobby.

The question is why someone line @fenwaypark who says they won’t allow rugby won’t answer the question on girls playing contact sports of any ilk given the data coming out on it.

1 Like

Tim, stop tagging me. You are beyond annoying.

2 Likes

It’s the rugby thread tim. Not the ‘Tim’s campaign to stop women playing sport’ thread.

@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy 20/4/23 I live in malahide
@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy 9/5/23 I don’t live in malahide.

Fuck. He’s obviously been on to his besser Darragh O Brien and had a boundary moved.

1 Like

Thats fair enough, I would see a good case for taking heading out of womens football in that case. It might mitigate things some way. The heading is a poor spectacle anyway.

I read the Fergus Slattery interview a few weeks ago. Tough stuff but he had an amazing life and brought a lot of happiness to people. His family can at least console themselves with that. Rugby is going to go the way of Boxing at the upper levels. I saw highlights of the AIL final there and those lads are moving like professionals. They know the score. Its sad, but they’ll have to bring in waivers from Junior Cup onward.

They sure as fuck aint going back to tackling below the waist or adding some weight limit gimmick bullshit, the people (paying public) have seen too much and won’t buy it.

There has been multiple studies with multiple methods- include reporting by trainers and also the concept of NCE with involves the study observing games to see potential concussion events.

They have also studied the aftermath of diagnosed concussions and find them more severe in females.

1 Like

I’m not sure the “risk” warrants it to be honest.

I would just say that there are some very disingenuous barstoolers like @Juhniallio and seemingly reckless dads like @fenwaypark on the issue.

You’re reading away on the thread and interacting silently where it suits you. Pretty simple question on female sports that you won’t answer. Again fair enough if you weren’t aware but now that the facts have been brought to you I hope you apply the same level of apparent compassion.