The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

Dangan will be tough.

Who could ever forget the day De Burca, Barron, Lehane, Cadogan, Oā€™Donnell and Power went up to Dangan and were turned over at 1/200?

Our Sigerson squad this year.

Have we a panel announced @Cicero_Dandi?

Itā€™s a sign how success starved they are below in Cork really

Heā€™s not even from cork

Who indeed. Remind me again?

Have they ruined these competitions with this Sunday games nonsense they have?

Should boost attendances no end

Very hush hush in typical UUJ fashion. Iā€™ve heard itā€™s a very low key side this year lacking the usual big name players.

1 Like

The Letterkenny squad is very diverse this year

@TreatyStones
when are you back?
ive an exam friday

he has a lovely panache about his prose alright with an element of prestiege that is representative of the old traditional mindset and values of Cork hurling.

1 Like

End of the month with lectures, have a couple of meetings about the industry based project before that.

He is a treasure .

The whole ambience around the competitions has been ruined

I had a look at the fixtures there and saw an exceedingly attractive double header between NUIG and COLLEGE was to be held just up the road from me here

Ah shure I might head up for a bit of that, I says

And then I looked at the date, and I says to meself, the 12th, but shure isnā€™t that a Sunday, Sigerson and Shitgibbon Cup games arenā€™t supposed to be held on Sundays

The whole buzz is now ruined, I probably wonā€™t bother

The whole point of these competitions is that they are held when thereā€™s literally nothing else on except Countdown and racing from Uttoxeter

You watch the first part of Countdown and then head up to the bank for the last 15 minutes of the first half and ask somebody the score - they donā€™t know

Then you watch the rest of it not knowing the score and find out at the end who has won by the reaction of each set of players

But on a Sunday, especially if itā€™s sunny, why would you do this

These competitions are supposed to be played on drab, dank Tuesday and Wednesday late lunchtimes

5 Likes

yeah - seems bizarre playing a hurling tournament in the middle of January exams
library in our place is open 24/7 at the moment but id say youā€™s need your head examined to go in there

They are now an industry if truth told .

adding the RTCs was the beginning of the end, I agree with you entirely, its the same as moving Rugby League to the Summer , next they want to make a 4 day test match
some competitions thrive on tradition - this is one of the them - @downyourthroats is the last of dying breed and he embraces what this competition actually stands for

Your 100% correct Mickee.

All the mickey mouse institutes should be fucked out. Its been a failed experiment.

What I love most about College, is the brand of hurling they produce on a yearly basis. Winning is never enough for College, you must win with style and grace.

Could you summarize for us if possible the occasion of the Canon Michael O Brian Cup.
ā€œThe Canonā€ was obviously hurling royalty who along with Frank Murphy laid the foundations for Cork hurling dominance - you must have been privileged to be in attendance down ā€œThe Dykeā€ for it?