The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

If they seal the deal here and do back to back they will have to be right up there, especially having done it in an era where these makey uppy institutes pour more and more money into it.

Obviously the team of the 1980’s stands out as the greatest College team ever with Grainger, English, O’Connor (RIP) and co at the peak of their powers.

The 1990’s vintage were a fine side in their own right. The 3 in a row was no mean achievement.

The 2012-13 side were a powerful bunch with a togetherness that epitomizes what College hurling is about. The group of Freshers who arrived on Western Road in September 2010 were pretty much untouchable on the field until that fateful night in Belfast when John Bubbles O’Dwyer’s Cork RTC dumped us out unceremoniously at the Semi Final stage in 2014. That defeat still rankles with many.

Overall though its hard to rank UCC Fitzgibbon Cup teams. Its a bit like choosing your favourite child.

3 Likes

Whats hard about ranking your favourite child? The best hurler is the favourite obviously.

Just looking at UCC’s lineup.
Did Paddy O’Loughlin line out at corner forward?

In dcu for fitz quarter. WIT v Dcu. Dcu 0-14 to 1-5 up at ht but against strong wind in second half

2 Likes

That’s a strong DCU team. They’re the only team with the depth to put it up to UCC I’d say.

Two Mullens left sitting on the sideline.

Times have changed when you see signigicantly more Kilkenny lads playing for DCU that WIT

The Mullens possibly have more on their minds right now

Finished something like DCU 1-22 WIT 2-14. Decent game. John Donnelly got about 6 points. A 'really lovely striker of the ball. Brian Ryan from limerick outstanding at wing back.

4 Likes

Binky

Was Austin Gleason playing ??

Yes

1 Like

No. Named but didn’t line out

Gleeson did arrive off the bench in the 57th minute and while he drilled in a goal from a 21m free in stoppage-time, DCU had the game wrapped up by then.

I was too cold to notice at that stage

1 Like

We appreciate the effort. When and where is the final?

Semi finals are Sat Feb 8th. DCU v UCC and Carlow IT v Mary I. Both in DCU. Final is then on the following Wednesday.

1 Like

Some year for Carlow across both codes.

I heard a hape of the Sigerson lads were in the grounds last night supporting the Hurlers. Albeit with a copious amount of cans in the hands :clap:

Wow, GGA roasters went to watch other GGA roasters play GGA in a town where there’s nothing else to do

2 Likes