The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

You know he’s from Lixnaw right?

He was in my eye. Hes a lovely hurler but Downey had a serious game

He was the standout hurler. Downey did well towards the end but Conway was class throughout.

I doubt it

His father Johnny played hurling for Lixnaw seniors in goals for 25 years and Kerry for ages as well, managed Lixnaw to a senior county championship, stuck in every aspect of the club. He was a super keeper actually. I d say the young lad is too steeped in it to play elsewhere but you cannot know for sure

God is in his heaven. Kings of the castle once more.

Conways point from downtown set the tone in the second half. Fitzgibbons point near the finish was a fitting way to win any game.

This College side is probably the perfect mix. Backboned by Cork with a strong Tipperary influence. A little flavour of Limerick, Kerry and Waterford.

When you think back on the 2014-18 era and College were built around a Waterford spine, it was no wonder we were useless.

But enough of that. Tonight is a night for cans on the bus and a lock in, in the Courthouse Tavern. Kingston I’d imagine will be given a new contract for as long as he wants and who could begrudge the man.

9 Likes

@downyourthroats

The rest of the hurling year will be an awful anti climax to you . Enjoy the celebrations .

3 Likes

Limerick living rent free in the Cark lads heads

1 Like

Wasn’t yer man in that photo from Limerick?

Lads from Carlow and Laois trying to stop 100 years of tradition. You can only laugh.

1 Like

They needed a Kilmallock man to captain them.

1 Like

@downyourthroats
Will Dr. Con enjoy a tipple after this one.
Id say been at a function with the likes of Dr. Con, Frank, The Canon (RIP) and Ger Cunningham would have been something else back in the day

That’s one of the greatest pictures of all time.

There was a time when that sign was on a billboard on the side of what once was The College Nook on College Road.

Castletroy College of Further Education took serious offence.

2 Likes

He sure will. Con is a great man to tell a story after a few pints of Murphys. Dr Paddy Crowley and John Grainger also.

Ger is part of this management team too, don’t forget. Great to see him being rehabilitated in the coaching scene after he was badly let down by those bluffers up in Dublin.

Ger comes across okay on the radio anytime I hear him

has always seemed popular and well rated with UCC and Cork senior hurling panels

He was a legend of a goalkeeper

I wonder how big a villain was he really in Dublin. He may have just shook things up a bit after several years of the same manager

He’d be a serious asset to any decent inter county team though. Its surely crossed a few managers minds

Tadhg Coakley epitomizes Corkness @mickee321

was the Q-F win over UCD the real final @downyourthroats?
in scottish football parlance it would be akin to celtic beating rangers and then having to play inverness at the nest stage- a veritable formality
i suppose the fact that there is even a QF at all shows how the competition has regressed- but now that the old order has been restored it can only be a good thing for its future

looking forward to reading Michael Ellard and John Horgan wax lyrical later in the echo

2 Likes

Rebels

Michael ellard, some blast from the past.