The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

What club is Fleming? This year looks like our best chance in a while

Meelick Eyrecourt.

1 Like

Meelick Eyrecourt

No Clare lads in an NUIG panel

Edit: there’s one sub

1 Like

UCD very reliant on Donal O’Shea for scores. Think he’s got all their scores bar one point. NUIG look a good bit better but still only a 5 point lead and UCD have a strongish breeze behind them for the 2nd half.

Very average second half from NUIG. Six niland frees is all theyve mustered. Two ahead with 6 to go

4 serious points in a row there

I knew they needed that jolt

I happened to be in Dublin on some bidness today so with only a hoody for company and some misplaced optimism I headed for Belfield tonight. My God it was cold.

Only got the second half of the football so don’t know what happened UCC early on but they were the better team in the second half and made a game of it before a calamity at the back lead to UCD’s third and decisive goal.

Wouldn’t recognise many lads for either team but Diarmuid O’Connor was fantastic for UCC and fought well to the end. The Geaney boys from my beloved Dingle can also play.

For UCD, Comerford in goal has turned into a right mouthpiece (no love lost beteeen himself and DOC), Connellan from Westmeath and O’Cofaigh Byrne were good too.

Onto the hurling then. Average enough game truth be told. NUIG far more talented but made hard work of it. Lynch is like a man amongst boys the way he can gather possession and make space for himself. Fleming is a handful if limited and Niland hit a few points for a finish. McGlynn at the back looks a good bit of stuff but is incredibly small. There was a big awkward lad, Fionn Mcdonagh who caused problems before getting injured.

UCD were game and honest. Conor O’Shea seems to be doing a thankless job but I reckon he’s a good manager from what I have seen. They are maxing out with what they have. Donal O’Shea is a lovely striker but is so light. Guilfoyle the midfielder, Liam Murphy and Kevin Lahiff were best for them.

All in all, NUIG will need to improve a tonne to beat College but they’ll be happy to go home with a win.

A grand way to pass an evening and beats watching games on shitty streams.

14 Likes

Fleming actually reminds me a lot of Seamus Flanagan. I think I said that on here last year during the U-20 championship and I’m sticking to it. Lots of similarities to their games. Key is how he develops from here.

He’s a bit similar in ways but the UCD full back (Galway man) was poor and taken off before he was going to be sent off. He’s worth a go with Galway all the same.

Flanagan had an All Ireland won on the field of play at 21.

Fleming is what 22 this year?

Three goals prior to the first water break for UL vs LIT. Game over as a contest already.

Is Davy on the line for LIT?

Had a look at the teamsheets there.

2 of the most underwhelming outfits UL & LIT have ever sent out I’d imagine. Is there a single Championship Appearance between the two of them?

Once upon a time both Colleges would have sent out better Freshers Teams.

Not that I can hear.

1 Like

Rodgers has a hat-trick by half-time, absolutely reddening his man.

Gearoid O’Connor very impressive at 11, Brian O’Grady & Ciaran Connolly dominant at midfield. Conor Flaherty at wing-back looks a serious hurler too.

UL impressive without Mark Quinlan, Rory Duff, Darragh Corcoran, Cian Galvin.

Post up the team sheets if ya can

1 Like

Conor Flaherty could well be the keeper for Galway footballers this year, has the jersey for now anyway. He was in goal for UL footballers earlier this week and had a dodgy enough day but its some effort from him to keep everything going.

The UL team in 2018 was sensational. Hegarty, John McGrath, Jason Forde, Tom Morrissey, Tony Kelly, Sean Finn, David Fitzgerald. Am I correct in saying Kyle Hayes was a sub? Mike Casey surely played that year too.

2 Likes

Did Gearoid O’Connor play much underage for Tipp? Looked very impressive at this level.

UL way better set up than LIT, who kinda fell apart after the early goals. Paddy Donnellan is definitely not a full-back, he was absolutely destroyed by Rodgers.