The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

This years renewal looks to have been pretty woeful.

1 Like

An iconic Freshers side, some of whom backboned the generational UL Wolves Fitzgibbon Cup winning side of 2023 :wolf: :wolf: :wolf:

3 Likes

My young fella was looking at Galway for next year but we did one of the open day things and the guy doing the tour basically said if you don’t have a relative living in and around the college forget about accommodation, not to be got so I think you’ll see all the colleges now being very local teams which is a shame. It was always great craic meeting the chancers from all the other counties. Someone else mentioned TUD being in a possibly good position. I was talking to someone who watches the dublin scene very closely and they were of the opinion that DCU would be in a very strong position. It’s within a relatively easy commute I.e not crossing the city/M50 of Cavan, Monaghan, Meath and Louth so he reckoned they would hoover up guys.

2 Likes

Yeah DCU are strong in both codes now and also in camogie and ladies football. Higher points than tu Dublin though.

Both on the Northside though which should help alleviate accommodation costs. Also, the move of TUD to one campus might see them improve in time

One of the great Fitzgibbon Cup sides :wolf:

This is where they rank in the grand scheme of things.

The Top Fitzgibbon Cup winning teams of 2005 to 2023 are as follows

1. UL - 2018
  2. LIT - 2005
  3. UCC - 2012
  4. UL - 2015
  5. Mary I - 2016
  6. UL - 2011
  7. Mary I - 2017
  8. WIT - 2014
  9. LIT - 2007
  10. WIT - 2008
  11. UCC - 2013
  12. UCC - 2020
  13. NUIG - 2010
  14. UCC - 2019
  15. WIT - 2006
  16. UCC - 2009
  17. UL - 2023
  18. UL - 2022
1 Like

@Turenne
Midleton CBS 5 -16 St Flannans 1-8

2 Likes

WIT 2014 should be nowhere near that high. Patric Mahoney and a bunch of nobodys

1 Like

SOKY, Jake Dillon, Eoin Murphy KK.

The two UL teams in the last two years don’t even have a somebody.

Two goalies and a lad who played colleges hurling in 2014 and hardly played a championship match after 2018

It’s easy to look back now in awe of teams, but I think a few of these UL players will go on to be great players

2018 UL the third greatest team of the Millennium after Kilkenny and Limerick.

3 Likes

The fact that team had a player who won POTY 5 years earlier is the most hilarious stat of all.

Trivia - how many all star awards currently have that starting side amassed?

Maybe I’m giving WIT too much credit but even Harry Keohe and Chuck O’Brien had played a bit of Senior I/C by then.

UCC really made a balls of it that year up in Belfast going for 3 in a row with a forward line of Harnedy, Dan McCormack, Jamie Barron, Alan Cadogan, Conor Lehane and Willie Muffins Griffin. The boy wonder Shane O’Donnell was sent on to save the day and wasn’t able.

Even the UCC teams of 2019 and 2020 and Fitzgibbon and Coleman who had All Stars to their name and Kingston who had a fair few big games played by that stage.

The Mary I teams of 2016 and 2017 were very good. Hannon, Ronan Maher, DOD, Colm Galvin etc.

These UL teams are absolute nobodies in comparison.

1 Like

There is still a fair old astericks against that 2018 team all the same that they had lads in their mid 20’s still there after 6 or 7 years in College. You see this in Carlow a lot too but they couldn’t even make that work in the Fitzgibbon.

In proper Universities, the UCD’s, Harvards, Cambridge’s and UCC’s of this world you actually have to Graduate and contribute to the world’s of Medicine, Technology and Commerce after a certain period of time.

1 Like

WIT 2006 should be a lot higher IMO. They were an excellent side and could have arguably been a 4 in a row side. Came up short in 05 V UL after taking 03 and 04.

1 Like

How many Fitzgibbon Cups have Harvard won? exactly

1 Like

Same as Cambridge