The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

Pleasing to see the correct Sigerson/Fitzgibbon etiquette being adhered to - an afternoon game and a teams circulated on A4 sheets of paper.

I hope thereā€™s a bank at the venue, and I donā€™t mean a branch of AIB.

Thats the teamsheets handed to the referee. Neither legal but no one really argues that one.

No proper bank in Mary I, a pavilion instead. Usually a massive wind and a crowd of hostile 18-22 year old primary teachers.

4 Likes

I have it as Mary I up by 3. Theyā€™ll probably feel they should be further ahead.

Meehan started very well but faded a little. UCC doing a lot of carrying the ball, maybe getting the benefit of the doubt for steps.

I presume you mean a tent masquerading as a stand?

SOB has 0-5 now

Goal Declan McLaughlin

Joe Caesar is a great name.

Mary I convincing in the end, UCC were disappointing considering the names they have.

Having said that, they did miss a fair few frees.

Bleak times for College

The buzz is fizzling out of corkā€™s renaissance.

Holycross fella.

There was also a Joe Caeser who played Tipp minor and 21 around 2000-04. Very good club hurler for Kilkenaule. @Mullach_Ide might fill in if they are related.

1 Like

Did OOF get any run?

Came on for the last 10 minutes or so. Worked hard, donā€™t think he got any possessions though.

1 Like

24 hours horribilus for Cork GAA. Theyā€™re not getting Super Valu out of college this year.

Ronan Power from Ballygunner was good for Mary I. Nice, rangy hurler; I assume heā€™s on the Waterford panel.

Iā€™d say Shano only got 6 or 7 possessions in the entire game and scored 0-5 from play and won a free (he actually scored a point from that one too but the ref called it back).

Meehan started really well, faded out of it but came into it again. Declan McLaughlin didnā€™t get on as much ball as some of the others but still hit 1-2; his goal was superb, roasted his marker and a neat finish under pressure.

Colin Oā€™Brien was prominent but his actual hurling is still a little slow. A big, strong unit though and won plenty of ball. The two midfielders for Mary I, Hennessy & Quinn got through a lot of work.

Mary I backs in general were pretty strong; Diarmuid Ryan is probably better driving forward but Caesar, Hogan and Fanning were all solid. Jason did well in goals too.

UCC are a strange team. Pretty much all their team are Cork intercounty panellists, and they were able to bring on the likes of Iarlaith Daly, Shane Barrett & Darragh Flynn aswell. In flashes, they looked very good and got scores very easily. But their work rate was noticeably poorer than Mary I; I would say that the tackle count was firmly in Mary Iā€™s favour.

A lot of their players did some very good things but then would be anonymous for chunks of the game, a real mixed bag across the 60 minutes. Brian Hayes was a target for them, a big, strong man and I think he did hit 0-4. But then, at other times, he looks really limited. Cotter looked sharp at times but just didnā€™t get enough ball. I like Daniel Hogan but he made some poor decisions on the ball, took on some crazy shots; Ben Cunningham was similar. Heā€™d put the head down and run and run and heā€™d open Mary I up but took on some shots that just werenā€™t on.

Presumably theyā€™ll still beat Maynooth and get through the group anyway. Youā€™d imagine the likes of Daly, Flynn & Barrett have to be starting going forward. Full-back line were under pressure when any sort of decent ball went in too but because the work rate was poor out the field, Iā€™d give them the benefit of the doubt.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Has been a hammering the last few years between these two teams, hard to see it not being comfortable for UL again.

Interesting to see Darragh Casey at 3 for LIT; I would always have said his best attribute is his ability to carry the ball; you donā€™t get to do much of that at 3.

Presume Ger Browne is injured the fact that heā€™s not playing, weird that Eoghan Connolly isnā€™t starting though. Hopefully Mikey Neddy gets a good run from the bench.

For UL, again I think TJ Brennan is injured. I would say that itā€™s odd that POD isnā€™t starting. But still a very strong team all over the pitch. And thatā€™s with no CON aswell.

Jerome Quinn & Patsy Coffey :no_mouth:

Patsy was gas there, knows all the UL lads inside out and spends ten minutes waxing on lyrical about them. It comes to the LIT team and he actually admits to not knowing any of them, gas man.