The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

Breeding

CORN UÍ MHUIRÍ (MUNSTER SCHOOLS SFC ‘A’) QUARTER-FINAL
St Brendans, Killarney 2-18

Clonakilty CS 1-11

An inspirational scoring surge from Glenflesk midfielder Jamie Moynihan in the first half was the catalyst for St Brendan’s Killarney’s eventual passage past a dogged Clonakilty Community School in the Munster Colleges SFC (Corn Ui Mhuirí) quarter-final.

Callan used to have a good school team many years ago. Still the case?

They have a decent group coming but unfortunately the majority of decent players from Carrickshock, Graigue and even some from Callan go into KK CBS or Kierans, many of those who go to Kierans spend 6 years on the bench.

KK CBS v Kierans should be tight enough but as per usual Kierans will probably shade it. Could be another ASR v Kierans Croke cup final.

They’re down in the C grade these days I think. They just happened to have a very talented group in the late 90’s to the best of my knowledge. The likes of the Hickeys and David Herity. They won a Leinster in 98’? Similar in ways to Tulla winning the Harty cup in 2022.

You’d see schools like Scoil Aireagail in Ballyhale who basically have none of the talents their locality produces. Kierans and CBS are the big draw in Kilkenny as @endakenny alluded to.

Kierans are the monster in the room. Cbs teams are generally from the city clubs. Last year Kierans had lads from Laois, Carlow, Graignamanagh and Urlingford. A massive catchment area with lads passing out numerous hurling schools to go there. Realistically their 2nd team would be competitive to a point in Leinster A. Loads of lads on their subs would be guaranteed starters for other teams. In essence i think they are inhibiting KK underage teams from reaching their potential.

2 Likes

There’s a particular problem with a shortage of places for boys in secondary schools in Kilkenny City.
Numerous young lads from town don’t get places in Kieran or the CBS and these lads have to be bussed to Callan or Ballyhale or Heywood but many that do get places definitely have schools nearer to them and are passing schools to get there.

The current CBS building is really small and basically unfit for purpose and they generally take more kids from town.
It’s hoped the problem will ease when the new CBS is built.

1 Like

Yeah I think Kilkenny CBS mainly rely on Dicksboro lads? So they’d have had a strong pick in recent years. Invariably amongst the top 3 teams in Leinster for as long as I can remember.

Callan benefit from picking up a few rural Tipp lads from the likes of Grangemockler and Mullinahone but even then the very best (like Eoin Kelly) tend to go to Kierans. Kierans even had a Donagh Murphy from MLR hurling for them last year.

How do Castlecomer usually fare? B level?

Castlecomer won an A around 2006/08. Generally a decent B school who dip into the A on occasion.

Agreed, cannot be good for long term development of Kilkenny hurling.

Many of those making these decisions don’t see past the black and white of Kieran’s.

Kierans has a very good record academically too tbf. You’re not just investing in the hurling but also the educational track record.

A very fair and valid point.

Kieran’s and Ard Scoil success is hollow to me. Not much glory in it.

2 Likes

It’ll be a sad night in the Courthouse Tavern

1 Like

Some kick in the hole for college, shameful for the champions to be knocked by a diddy outfit like Maynooth

A lot of Mulinahone/Grangemockler lads would go to Scoil Ruain (Killenaule), Eoin Kelly won an AI Vocational Schools with them before going to St Kierans to do his Leaving Cert.

1 Like

Tipping down to Mary I for their game vs UCC.

Want to see how young O’Farrell goes against senior county panellists.

SOB starved of ball so far but scores a beauty with pretty much his first touch. Mary I seem hungrier so far.

Do you have the teams?

https://twitter.com/johnnybkeogh/status/1750160528876409000?s=46

3 Likes