The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

Iā€™m not sure how Paddy Oā€™Donovan wasnā€™t starting.

Cian Galvin has been very good since coming on too; youā€™d have to think heā€™s probably good enough to start. And John Conneally not involved at all is odd?

How did Robbie Cotter not get a minute there and the forwards bate all over in the second half?

UCC just couldnā€™t win a ball up there in the second. They needed to push more numbers up the field IMO.
UCC needed their full selection really. Daly and Cunningham were losses.

1 Like

Fergal Oā€™Connor was the best player on the pitch across the 60 minutes; a classy, classy player.

Some of ULā€™s bigger names were poor in the first half but stepped up in the second half: Brennan, Coughlan, Oā€™Connor & English. Rodgers was pretty quiet but got a crucial 1-1 in about 60 seconds. And I suppose thatā€™s what really top players can do- even on a bad day, they can hurt you.

UCC will be disappointed tactically with the second half; they ran into trouble an awful lot and didnā€™t get any kind of good ball into Hayes & Buckley like they did in the first half. Okay, it looked like UL were defending very deep but UCC had the wind at their back; should have pushed the delivery zone back a bit and they probably could have afforded to commit the UL defenders.

They had done very well in the first half, maybe caught UL by surprise a little by the level of their work rate. UL came out a different team in the second half, Iā€™d say they doubled their tackle count in the second half.

1 Like

@downyourthroats

Get that down ya. :ronnyroar:

UL! UL! UL!

8 Likes

Gearoid Oā€™Connorā€™s analysis of the game is quite good for a fella only just at full-time; you often have a distorted view when youā€™re in the thick of it.

1 Like

Not fully sold on him yet. I havenā€™t sern enough of him but Iā€™m yet to be convinced he should be spoken about like CON, SOB and AE.

FOC is a great yoke. Should be making match day 26s for championship for Limerick this year.

Coughlans hurling in tight spaces is very slow at this level still.

1 Like

The second half performance was more what I was expecting from UCC having seen them against MIC and Maynooth.

I donā€™t think heā€™s as fancy as them, perhaps, but he has real quality and his work rate is very good. Just trying to find his best position at senior intercounty is the issue. Currently at half-forward, I think heā€™s more suited to the Mulcahy role.

2 Likes

Like given as I generally agree with you there, but I think POD will surprise you.

He is a good one.

1 Like

I suppose when you are the underdog, you have to be clinical when you are on top. Maybe if UCC had more of a cushion at half-time having been the better team, they could have really rattled ULā€™s confidence. Two missed goal chances, two relatively easy frees, a couple of other bad wides.

UL missed a few too but to only go in 2 points down, theyā€™d have been confident of pulling that gap back even against the wind.

As I said I havenā€™t seen enough of him as you lads.

Capable of great one off scores. He got a point under thr new stand in the 20s final vs KK that was class. Just goes long periods without doing things at times.

The College bate by the NIHE. They wonā€™t like that one bit

3 Likes

Score was 15 a piece. Barrett (who I rate) misses a free from the middle of the field. 20 secs later GOC converts from the same spot and UL go ahead. Need to be hitting 90% on frees.

Iā€™d like to see UL win for TJ Brennan captaining them alone.

1 Like

Jamie Wall will be keeping the head down

Time will tell of course. He has been unbelievable for his club though over the last three years. Underage level outclassed bigger names recently too. I think with a bit of time on the panel, POD will be a significant Limerick senior hurler.

Not as big a name as some of the other young lads. You wouldnt mind that though.

1 Like

Heā€™s a lesser known name but when the need was there for Limerick 20s last year, he was far better than his better known peers. Across several games as well.

1 Like

A fine Roman emperor at CB for MIC there

You knew UCC was fucked when Carlow were bateing them with their cap

He played well, in fairness to him. Would say he was better than Hogan on the day.