The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

ET?

Yep. SKC had the chance to peg on a score or two. Some game

Moore is always a bit biased To The Galway teams

1 Like

These lads are wrecked. Replay would have been a better option

1 Like

Had to leave it. Who won in the end?

So did I. Kieran’s by 5

1 Like

Nenagh would have beaten that Kieran’s team today I’d say. That Kieran’s performance anyway for first 35 or so mins.
Then again having won the big one….

An all Ireland winner from the family and the parish!! Hup!

1 Like

I presume the captain is something to Jim Neary who trained all those Kilmanagh school teams

Legends Night

https://twitter.com/ucc_gaa/status/1773840432771760354?t=PwAUda75WBv_juXqNxuQ_Q&s=19

1 Like

Awful draw for Tralee CBS in the Harty Cup with Flannan’s and Thurles.

1 Like

Thought Ard Scoil were fucked until I realised it was in Leinster and it was some Dublin outfit.

Monday 7th Oct 2024
Leinster PPS 2024-2025 (Leinster) Junior Hurling A1 - Roinn 1 Round 3
Ardscoil RĂ­s 4-10
Mountrath CS 1-23

The other Ard Scoil Ris played St Kierans of Kilkenny in a BOICMC at The Ragg on Monday cc @StoneCold

2 Likes

Think they’re mainly made up of Vincents catchment

1 Like

Weren’t ASR of Dublin supposed to be good?

There was a Munster schools game in the local field this morning and I tipped over for a look.

Hurling has totally changed at all levels. Completely possession based, short stick passes (correctly executed no more than 30% of the time) and a Gaelic football-like unwillingness to shoot for a score until it’s nearly been walked in. Fine young hurlers doing their best but it’s frustrating to look at. One side went short from about 6 scoreable frees when they were a few points down but by no means out of it. In fact, at one stage, I heard the referee say to the freetaker “would you not take the few handy points and ye’ll be right back in it”

It’s almost like they’re not being coached in certain skills of the game anymore.

3 Likes

Its these coaching gurus fault. Its easy to take bad hurlers and turn them into a defensive minded side who dont take chances, than develop hurlers or a game plan to allow them develop their skills.

When you see teams going out at U13 and U15 with gameplans and short passing, and or handpassing for gaelic, I will 99% of the time be able to show you a coach who is unable to, doesnt want to develop them as players.

As Ulster football showed, its more rewarding to kill the game and give yourself a chance win by utilising poor footballers and turning exceptional footballers into robots, bound to a plan and a fucking charter.

1 Like

These were U17s, possibly B or C grade. A school, at this relatively early stage of the season, can be forgiven to an extent as they’ve inherited a group from a wide range of clubs who mightn’t necessarily be that familiar with each other.

That said, you’d imagine they’d be working on the basic skills at least. Try give them some bit of cohesion. More worryingly, it would appear that a lot of these young fellas are experiencing the same type of coaching at club level. It was a good, honest game but the style of hurling was depressing.

In truth its most likely all Limericks fault.

I think there will be a reckoning with some of the bigger hurling schools in the not too distant future. They seem to think that they are academies but only seem to care to their own ends. Players back training with schools in early August, very little if any thought given to club/county development squad commitments etc.

The development squads in a number of counties from what I have heard are taking a more holistic approach and are trying to develop well rounded young men rather then simply winning silverware. The schools seem to take the other approach - have also heard of a handful of last years county minors who have to repeat fifth year due to playing Dean Ryan, Harty and minor in the previous year and missing too much classroom time.

1 Like