The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

There was yellow there also. Spotted a skelp of them coming out of a Dublin branch of a large chain of bookies later on looking like very very happy men.

Gaelic Football ‘C’ competitions at their best, give it to the good fella and get the fuck out of his way :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ4xc7uw4EE

I see the Higher Education Rising Stars Teams have been announced.

Colm Begley got one.

That’s the same Colm Begley who is a former professional athlete.

In total, by my reckoning, there are THREE former professional athletes on the team.

Rising fucking stars I ask you :smiley:

[QUOTE=“myboyblue, post: 1127420, member: 180”]I see the Higher Education Rising Stars Teams have been announced.

Colm Begley got one.

That’s the same Colm Begley who is a former professional athlete.

In total, by my reckoning, there are THREE former professional athletes on the team.

Rising fucking stars I ask you :D[/QUOTE]

Fuckin hell

only one per cent of college students playing inter-county football and hurling rated college competitions as their top GAA priority, lagging well behind club and county in that regard.

http://www.gaa.ie/medical-and-player-welfare/news/2304150811-dessie-farrell-on-student-report/

The lack of interest in these competitions pitch-side is matched by inter-county players playing on the pitch.

Good Counsel College (New Ross) have retained their All Ireland Colleges Junior A football title. They’ve just defeated St Brendan’s from Kerry (Killarney?) by 2-12 to 3-5. Good Counsel are also current holders of the Junior A hurling title so that’s a brilliant double for them. They’re also Leinster Senior A football champions.

my eldest is going to the lambert puppet theatre for their school tour
Im not sure if lunch will be provided or if they have to bring their own

[QUOTE=“The Selfish Giant, post: 1130270, member: 80”]my eldest is going to the lambert puppet theatre for their school tour
Im not sure if lunch will be provided or if they have to bring their own[/QUOTE]
I went on a school tour of the Lambert Puppet Theatre in 1987. I don’t recall lunch being provided. I don’t know if this is still the case. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

thats good to know mate, thanks for the help

Really good win for them. Some of the lads on the team have 3 all ireland medals in the last 12 months and 4 Leinsters.

I still always find it mad how well they can do at football in particular, with no translation of that success to county level.

This is something related to what i was talking about in telation to the gaa-rugby debate. Rugby has mobilized big time. While individual schools are trying to promote GAA in rugby schools its not widespread.

What people forget as well is the seasons do clash, especially the schools which directly clash.
http://www.munsterrugby.ie/rugby/21348.php

Hardly representative of a massive shift though? There’s a wider spread of sports being offered now across the country you’d imagine.We had to kick up with our local secondary school though this year when they withdrew their U-16 and 1/2 football team. No rugby issue but there’s hurling, basketball and soccer which wasn’t there when I was going.

There is a Leinster Rugby Schools GAA competition and has been since the 1970s. TBF I think the number of schools who compete goes up and down every year.

No not a shift, yet. Its the fact its happening at all.

This is the scenario.

A school like St. Brendans would in time be capable of making it to Munster Senior Cup level.its already accepted that players cannot play Harty/Corn i Mhuri AND Senior Rugby Cup.

Talented young lad who is a Kerry Minor hopeful but also talented rugby player is forced to choose. Munster call to the house and suggest he gives rugby a shot, their could be a contract down the road. Most kids and parents will only make one decision there.

Now he can always go back but its unlikely at that stage his football will reach its potential.

The best athletes are generally the best players and the best footballers will often occupy important positio s in rugby like back row, half back & full back.

This is the approach rugby is taking, and nothing wrong with it. Its just people have this perception that the codes don’t clash, where as at the most important time they actually do.

There is one in Cork too. The Lord Mayors Cup. Its a farce though.

Roscrea manage to compete in rugby and hurling with very few numbers, albeit with a number of rugby players specifically brought in for their 5th and 6th years.

Ya they seem to have some dual players. But again they are not playing A schools hurling and football. The odd freakish lad can do both. Most can’t.

The 2 Munster schools who play both(at highest level) have little or no dual players, ASR & CBC.

Anyway, the worry from a gaa pov is not lads playing both, ots being forced to make choices.

You’d wonder Kev to be honest. There’s a ton of schools around the country, that either have no GAA tradition or have effectively been abandoned by the GAA that you would imagine would be ripe for picking off by the IRFU, if they were prepared to deal with the social challenges that came with the territory. For example about 5 minutes walk from Belvedere, you have O’Connells CBS. Decent size school, that haven’t fielded in GAA in a meaningful way in 30 years and full of immigrant children who you’d assume have no hangups about rugby. Obvious synergies with Belvedere if the Union wanted to put coaches and resources into both.

Ditto schools like Ringsend Tech which would provide an obvious synergy with St Michaels or even Blackrock, Joeys in Fairview with Mount Temple and so on. As far as I can see the IRFU are passing on these open goals and ploughing into crowded spaces like Brendan’s as you mention or in my own area St Fintans ( while bizarrely letting a schoo.like Paul in Raheny fall by the wayside). I think they have a narrow attitude but they have a huge need to fill the professional game with players because of the huge fall off from schools rugby and the attrition on those who do stay in the game.

1 Like

You hardly expect them to deal with riff raff Fagan. The likes of @Tim_Riggins wouldn’t like it.

@balbec it is in the nature of society and economics that professional sports ultimately get populated by working class and immigrant populations. It’s an inevitable trend once the professional rewards become big enough. In a risk reward scenario a chap in a private school who has a chance of being a doctor or an accountant and earning a decent wedge over 40 years will more often than not take that choice rather than forsake the career and roll the dice on a few lucrative years on a pro contract. The chap with no other career prospect will take the pro contract every time and worry about a career after that.

2 Likes