The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

Where would O’Connells play? Who would pay the transport costs to bring them to a pitch. The IRFU do have a bit of a scatter gun approach with their money for schools - there are lots of schools who play at a poor level getting in Provincial development officer every once in a while. I would be much more in favour of the IRFU honing in on 10 or so schools in the country and putting the full resources in there in order to get more players at a pro level. A proper rugby programme is expensive business.

But at the same time the IRFU’s remit is to be the grassroots supporter of the game. More kids getting the chance to play the sport ect.

Mount Temple are dust as well from a rugby point of view. I’m not sure why Pauls went the way they have, or indeed Templeogue College. Probably to do with the religous orders pulling out and not having the same level of Lay support as before. The IRFU’s involvement with the top 40 or so schools in the country is not particularly big beyond age grade sides. The schools fund the coaches and everything surrounding the rugby programmes. I think we had three visits from people in the Leinster Branch when I was in school, Gerry Murphy for a couple of sessions and Rollie Meats for a scrum session. Ollie Campbell came down once but that was because his Godson was on the team. The rest of the coaches were all brought in by the school.

Playing the Leinster Schools’ Junior Cup final in Tallaght was a step too far

Exactly what you describe there is phase 2.

They are on it, and in fairness i admire them.

Munster are moving into the “rougher” schools already. I think the different provinces, seem to be at least, trying different approaches. This is partially taken from NZ Rugby. They will uniform the approaches then if suitable.

The GAA are a joke. Leaving clubs like Crokes and Boden go the way they have ye leave areas and clubs and schools wither like you describe. Its a disgrace. Duffy and the rest of them are thumb twiddlers. They have guys in prominent positions in CP and the GAA who haven’t a clue and don’t care and in some cases have no previous gaa affiliation whatsoever.

Fact.

O’Connells would play on Belvos Distillery Road pitch which is 10 minutes walk from their school. Or else go out to their own pitch in Clontarf on a Dublin bus.

I didn’t know Belvo played there as well. I think they only use the Navan Road ones for matches that must be why.

Still, I think the challenges of an inner city school with rugby are greater than elsewhere. I think the IRFU would do well to look at a school like Temploegue College first and try to figure out what went wrong. They have the facilities ready made and even the pitches for Marys rugby club across the road but they have gone to complete crap.

You mentioned St Fintans earlier - I would put money on their improvement being down to some teachers there.

Ah yeah but then maybe the wrong sort of chap will be playing the game. They might not all be salts of the earth like the dockers down in Limerick.

We have no dockers left in Limerick. Did they all become pro rugby players?

One of your ex colleagues is the man in foynes. They have a few dockers but no rugby.

Result from Fitzgibbon League QF in Belfield tonight.

UCC 5-18
UCD 0-16

We’re back, baby.

1 Like

Fitzgibbon League?

Yes pal.

A warm up for the main event but prestigious in their own right.

1 Like

There’s no such thing

It’s official title may be Higher Education Senior Hurling League Division 1.

1 Like

my 6 year old has a spelling bee tomorrow

2 Likes

Best of luck to @the_little_selfish_giant :+1:

3 Likes

UL beaten by IT Carlow :grinning:

They won’t be seeded for the Fitz. :grinning:

UL are unbelievable underachievers over the years. Its said they never created the same spirit as the likes of UCC & UCD in particular. Always been chock full of talent

“The College” take on IT Carlow tonight in the Higher Education Senior Hurling League Division 1 Final tonight in Carriganore at 5pm.

Should be a decent game for anyone in the Waterford area. Paddy Power have College priced up at 4/9 with IT Carlow available at 2/1.

Which college?

1 Like

There’s only one college, mate.