The Shame I feel about Dublin as my 🐐 capital (and other random cities in videos that Muldoons think is Dublin)

They are scamming you poor bastards in Dublin. 20 euros for that shite???

There was talk of gating David Norris street at the time. I remember falling out of some flat on Parnell st with my jaw hopping one night and walking through feeling like a character in James Joyce

Having been in and around the North Inner City for over 40 years at this stage I’d challenge this. In the 1980s it was just about safe to walk down Talbot St in the area east of O’Connell St. You wouldn’t dream of walking down Seán McDermott St, Summerhill or Seville Place. As for Sheriff St you’d only go down there if you were feeling suicidal. You wouldn’t drive through any of these areas if you could help it. Though there were a lot of urban myths, women drivers dreaded getting stopped at the junction of Gardiner St and Parnell St because there was every chance of a brick through the side window and a young urchin (more than likely a young Gerry Hutch) rummaging through the car looking for the handbag.

I wouldn’t dispute that these are still problem neighborhoods but they are much safer than they used to be. I’d still keep my wits about me walking through them but 30 or 40 years ago I simply wouldn’t have walked through the areas. I wouldn’t have had a pint on Marlborough St or a dinner on Cathedral St or Parnell St. There is a problem with junkies congregating around Pearse St and Merchants Quay and shooting up in the lanes behind Wynns and behind Talbot St but I’m not sure how much worse this is than it was 30 years ago.

29 Likes

Spot on.

I am sure you are correct and Dublin was a hole until the 90s. Buildings held up on Pearse Street with wooden plans and the likes

Things had improved significant though by the late 1990s and in the 2000s. There has been a growing unpleasantness around the city in the last decade, but accelerated by Covid.

I’m sure the Covid has aided Anto social behavior because the streets have been emptied but I’d expect this to correct itself when life returns to normal.

1 Like

Who is this fella?

He seems like a decent ould skin

There are gangs of kids who have left education permanently, they won’t be back.

The problem of open drug dealing won’t go away without a serious change of policy, drug addiction is rampant again.

Drug addiction always follows a recession and Dublin was not unique in that, but was just getting over the GFC when this happened.

Some normality has returned to the south city centre since places reopened but there remains rampant anti social behaviour and drug stalking.

A fella told me that Charlemont St, Richmond St area on the south side would have been similar in the 80s. Maybe not as bad as what you are describing there but absolute kips

That’s a belter of a typo (or intentional)

25 Likes

A bit of both. It came up in my predictive text and I thought that’s a belter of a predictive typo.

24 Likes

I’ve never known a city like Dublin for junkies congregating in the city centre. Lads openly shooting up down laneways, it’s been like that though as long as I’ve lived there.

1 Like

You become immune to it. Tbf they rarely hassle gen public. I’d be strolling around D1 and D2 at lunch over last 10-15 years. Noticed a huge change during Covid when coming into town one day and walking up Talbot st. It was like night of the living dead. No general footfall for them to get lost in. It was fairly intimidating.

6 Likes

Fair play @Fagan_ODowd I largely agree with this take. I first saw the light of day in Liberty House and have had familial and, latterly, professional connections in there ever since. The dislocation of structural unemployment and the scourge of heroin in the 80s totally changed the community and recovery has been slow and drugs issue has morphed. several times and is still a challenge despite great work by the likes of Fergus McCabe.

PS The young Monk’s gang were dubbed the Bugsy Malone Gang by the Paul Williams’ of the day

2 Likes

“Fat lad” from Barnsley who reviews takeaways/chippers. Did Leo Burdocks today.

Immune to junkies shooting up on the street? What an incredibly morbid existence.

And the addicts don’t have it great either.

1 Like

West coast cities in US eclipse it easily. Seattle, Portland, SF’s Tenderloin, LA and SD are like disposal nightmare cities with rampant drug abuse and homelessness.

Crack being openly smoked, needles strun about and even the pleasure of seeing people shit on the street in Portland.

Terrifying glimpse at what happens when the social fabric is completely torn apart.

I remember one of my first auditing roles 20 years ago was a fund admin place fronting onto Eden Quay. It was a daily and accepted occurrence for folk to shoot up in the alley-way at the back of the building that linked the quay and (Lower) Abbey Street.

Beautifully worded

1 Like

Chicago is a great spot, but it’s also an awful kip.