The Shame I feel about Dublin as my šŸ capital (and other random cities in videos that Muldoons think is Dublin)

Lamenting the closure of a kip. I suppose thereā€™ll be articles lamenting the closure of Babylon in 20 years even though the food in there is inedible. Nostalgia does strange things to people

1 Like

The Manhattan mob werenā€™t long moving on to Renards. Another kip

3 Likes

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/travel/2022/0829/1319398-capel-street-listed-as-one-of-the-worlds-coolest-streets/

A myriad of editors and contributors from Time Out have once again searched the globe, polling over 20,000 city-dwellers and consulting with local experts, to rank the coolest streets that the world has to offer.

Keeping food, fun, culture and community in mind, this group of journalists shortlisted the ā€œvibiest streetsā€ in each of the cities they surveyed in order to whittle down the offerings to the top 33.

Happily, Dublinā€™s Capel Street managed to make the trendy list, coming in at number 22 thanks to its delicious and diverse mix of restaurants and bars.

1 Like

I was strolling around the Georgian South inner core of the city yesterday, Merrion St, Merrion Sq, Mount St etc.

Itā€™s an incredibly well preserved streetscape to be fair to it.

4 Likes

If youā€™re up of a Thursday Merrion square has a load of food stalls every week. Very pleasant way to spend a lunchtime sitting on the grass having a munch in the sunshine as I did a couple of days ago. Thatā€™s the Dublin I know rather than the Dublin 1 and Dublin 3 hellscape that muldoons like @Thomas_Brady only ever experience.

5 Likes

Spencer dock in Dublin 1 has these food stalls on a Wednesday too

Iā€™d love to see a few events in Fitzwilliam Square but the residents keep it tightly controlled. Bring back lawn tennis.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll take your word for it mate.

I had a key for Fitzwilliam Sq years ago. Lived in a ā€œmewsā€ on Pembroke Lane. It is a scandalously underused green space in Dublins city centre. The residents donā€™t use it at all. I wonder is it a throwback to the time when the area was best known for night time prostitution.

I got a savage rotisserie chicken there this week.

1 Like

Who maintains it?

Residents

5 Likes

+1

Very odd of them. Most people head to nice parts of a city when they visit. The limericks seek out the poorer quarters where only the ragged people go

7 Likes

Capel Street is the new Stoneybatter.

4 Likes

Complaining that they saw some drug dealing in the environs of the capitalā€™s main train station. Sure youā€™d never see that in any other capital city in the world.

1 Like

Up once a year and head to the inner city hellholes with big sunburnt red heads while we quaff champagne in a blissful leafy suburb laughing at them.

Fucking eejits.

1 Like

Apparently the LinkedIn development at Wilton Place has driven the last of it from the area.

Quite strange how the area got like that given how expensive the houses are around the area. I know the quiet nature of it and the back alleys would have made it ideal for that kind of commerce but still.

One of my favourite streets.

Herbert Street leading down to the Pepper Cannister Church

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a lovely vista looking down mount st towards the Pepper Cannister, with the big wide streets and the church in the middle.

2 Likes