The Shame I feel about Dublin as my šŸ capital (and other random cities in videos that Muldoons think is Dublin)

Stopping cars turning left on Dawson St towards College Green was beginning of end of Oā€™Connell street. It cut off OCS from the gentrifying influence of SoCoDu and ironically it became like itā€™s neighbours. A Zoo.

1 Like

Sunflower

1 Like

The Royal Dublin was there as well.

Allowing Hamsterdam in the surrounding streets is the biggest problem. At least in Baltimore it was away from their main strip and they had good Irish police like McNulty.
Yesterday evening on the bus going down by Merchants Quay, there was one scrote with a bag of supplies. Two fellas came up to him on different occasions and handed him 50 while my bus was stopped there.

1 Like

Which is probably why he mentioned itā€¦and it beside CIEā€¦which he didnā€™t.

1 Like

That hatch is still there! It sells heroin now though! :wink:

The heroin would probably be less of a health hazard than the donuts.

2 Likes

For us Muldoon childer up in Dublin for the christmas shopping, that donut hatch was the most magical thing in the world :smiley:

1 Like

They smelled and tasted delicious. The smell is still tempting but its been about 20 years since i chanced one.

Ah yes CIE.

Eircom previously the P&T had offices where the Holiday inn is now.

The Family Planning crowd had a shop at the back of the Gresham. A young lad up from the country would feel a frisson of excitement at the sight of it.

1 Like

I thought it was worth a second mention. Roaster heaven on AIF day.

1 Like

I had an aunt living in de nortside and my mother would bring us in to town but we never did venture across the Liffey. Clearyā€™s and Henry Street were the old reliables. I started getting brave and headed in on my own when I was 12 or 13. Used to get a bus across from Fagans on Drumcondra Road. Never forgetting I was a mulldoon Iā€™d always make sure someone else would put the arm out to stop the bus, I knew my place. One day I got to the stop and I was the only one there. All the drivers were looking at me but no cunt was getting off and I hadnā€™t my arm out so none of them stopped. I eventually panicked and stuck out the paw for a single decker. Fucking thing turned left past Croke Park and I got the jitters. This isnā€™t going to Oā€™Connell Street. I remember it landing in around Marlborough St I think. On the way home I spotted a 13a, 13 used to do me so I said ah 13a is close enough. Went upstairs. Got off after two stops and walked the rest of the way.

16 Likes

Derelict sites used as surface car parks encapsulates 1980s Dublin.

2 Likes

Where Temple Bar square is now was a surface car park. There was one where the Stephenā€™s Green Centre is now as well.

1 Like

Theyā€™re still savage and a mile better than the numerous donut shops that have popped up. Got mugged there around 1990 for my change when queuing there :grinning: so things prob havenā€™t changed

2 Likes

In fairness nobody could question your commitment to grubbing in general. From Michelin Star restaurants, to homecooked T-Bone steaks the size of Tadgh Furlongā€™s hoop, right down to dodgy donut stalls. You donā€™t discriminate. Fair play.

6 Likes

Iā€™m an equal opportunities employer

2 Likes

Parnell

View of some surface parking along Parnell St/Moore St in the 80s. Conways and the Parnell Monument in the distance, Waldens on the other side, where a precocious Bill Cullen got his start, moved out to Coolock.

ILAC, LIDL, ALDI, Tesco, Juryā€™s Inn, Chapters all in there now. Behind where photo was taken were Peats Electronics and Noyeks where the fire was. There was also another, much larger, surface car park there with The Commodore pub the only building on that stretch. It did a lovely pint at a time when such a thing was quite variable.

10 Likes

Corporation owned most of those sites and were keeping them undeveloped because they had a plan to run a four lane inner relief road there.

3 Likes

I worked in one further down the road where Smyths toy store is now. Was run by a retired guard and his son. They had another spot where BT is at Grand canal plaza - was an abandoned slaughter house. The Microsoft boys in the NTMA building used it and were flat out in summer of 95 launching Windows. Handy dough.

3 Likes