The Shame I feel about Dublin as my 🐐 capital (and other random cities in videos that Muldoons think is Dublin)

They can be activated for commercial use e.g. outdoor pub areas, cafes etc. Pretty standard elsewhere and also happens in Dublin when you take Dame Lane. Millennium Walk an example too.

In fairness though, the Millenium Walkway was modelled with this in mind.

I imagine Herbert Court was always used for trash and deliveries as well as a walkway. It would be interesting to know what the businesses around there think of this plan as surely it does them no good either even if they weren’t interested in doing something else with it.

One of the big shames is Leinster Market laneway, which has basically disappeared. Also closed down because of anti social activity.

It once was a hive of activity. Trinity control is now basically and as they once did with Pearse Street (now thankfully being changed), turned their backs on it.

You can put this one on the pig pile of failures for DCC. They start initiatives and then seem to forget about them.

The big showdown between Emmett kirwan and his brother in the film about taking yokes takes place on that lane.

2 Likes

Kerslake is gorgeous in that

Having met her IRL I am smitten.

Brilliant

There was a club down that lane years ago. I can’t remember the name of it but I saw the Stars of Heaven supported by the Harvest Ministers there some time around 1990.

1 Like

I always thought Millenium Walkway or Mick Wallaces Italian Quarter as we knew it was nice. But I think they were able to almost develop a lot of it from scratch. I imagine its a lot more difficult in the likes of the lane they shutdown earlier in the week as the buildings around it are already being used for other purposes?

I think you’re winding up poor @binkybarnes at this stage

3 Likes

Yeah that’s fair. But it certainly isn’t impossible- there are ones elsewhere that work in Dublin including alleyways.

It would need a few businesses to buy in and put in a shop front/entrance. I suspect many aren’t bothered. But that is where the council comes in.

Lovely day for it

15 Likes

What are you planting @padjo?
I’m starting next week on a couple of acres of native trees.
Scots pine only two or three.
Hazel. Lots I love it.
Few juniper.
Bit of yew.
Some beech also
Then a couple of oak.
Not sure what else but my bessier is on top of it all.

5 Likes

A few Rowan trees surely, sycamore chestnut ash.If I hear you plant even 1 sika spruce I’ll come up and bate ye

5 Likes

The hedge is mainly whitethorn, with some hazel, guelder rose and oak mixed in. I’m also planting a small copse and that’s going to be a mix of oak, hazel and holly

5 Likes

What’s the matter @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy , cat got your tongue?

7 Likes

It puts the cactus on his window sill into perspective.

1 Like

Looks my online advocacy and tagging of @padjo has paid dividends

@maurice_brown or @Pikeman next

3 Likes

I used to use this lane daily between the work carpark in Townsend Street to D’Olier Street. It was actually a location used ihe Veronica Guerin film with Kate Blanchett. Before they finally closed it it was syringe central and you’d regularly have junkies shooting up or having a sh1te behind the wheelie bins. It had become fairly grim, to be honest

I don’t see how closing a lane will stop that behaviour. So now they’ll just be shooting up and shitting elsewhere

1 Like

Holly and whitethorn and Rohan are going in as well.
That’ll be a beautiful hedge @padjo

1 Like

No Sitka. Absolutely not. Never never never.

1 Like

Beech isn’t a native Irish tree. But that’s just a technicality.