The Slot Machine 🎰 - Liverpool 2024-2025

Tough game Saturday for the Redmen. Traditionally we tend to be ripe for an upset against a newly promoted club. Points dropped at Forest, Fulham and Bournemouth in 2022/23 for instance. All of them 12.30 Saturday kick-offs too if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

There was a time back in the 90’s where the worst promoted side would always win 1-0 at Anfield.

Barnsley and Watford spring to mind, Swindon as well I think.

Swindon drew at Anfield around Christmas 1993. Earlier in the season, Liverpool had gone to the County Ground and won 5-0. Ronnie Whelan scored that day and I reckon it might be the last goal he scored for Liverpool.

Barnsley won 1-0 at Anfield in 97/98.

Liverpool barely beat them later in season at Barnsley (Riedle scored a few). Barnsley had I think three players sent off!!!

A fair grim time as a Liverpool fan.

I think Ipswich won at Anfield as well, the same season that Man Utd beat them 9-0 at Old Trafford. Maybe 1994/95?

That was the third match of the season and third win. Nigel Clough and Neil Ruddock had been signed and I thought we were going to win the league.

We finished 8th or something like that and Souness got the long awaited chop following exit in the FA Cup to a Brian Tinnion goal for Bristol City.

Stephen Ward scored the winner for wolves at anfield one night

Ipswich beat them through a Marcus Stewart goal at Anfield around 2000 (I think I read about that in last few weeks to remind me of it). Ipswich also won at Anfield in 94/95; you’re right there as well.

That was during the Hodgson reign :nauseated_face:

Porto was hopping for it.

Henry is quite happy to sit on his hands once the value of the team keeps increasing. New money Newcastle will jump the miserable merseysiders this season

He’d want to be careful or Trent and Virgil will go to Real Madrid on free transfers

Wolves weren’t newly promoted at that stage though. Think they went up in 2009. That match was December 2010. Possibly the nadir for Liverpool.

So what a great night for fingal

Newcastle are actually weaker than last season at the minute. They’ve sold two of their most promising youngsters with very few incomings thus far. Liverpool are comfortably the 3rd best team in the league.

But the manager is an unknown.

They dont have to play europe which killed them last year. And they get tonali back. Newcastle will be flying

I have them top 6 in my predicted league table alright. They’ll be battling for that 5th Champions League spot with Ruud Van Nistelrooy’s Man United.

1 Like

Theyll be top 4 along with city united and arsenal

Big strong team with some super players but I find them very crude and cynical. They play high tempo stuff and not being in Europe will help but they seem to run out of ideas quickly enough in games if things aren’t going their way. I wouldn’t be sure of Howe. They are also the worst team in the league for shit housing and time wasting.