The Smiths - The Greatest Indie Band of All Time?

You’ll have to be more specific. Smith is a very common surname.

Not one of my personal favourites but different strokes,
In fairness though I have to concede that nobody on this forum knows more about shitty lyrics and poems etc than @Sidney so he deserves to be listened to, perhaps he might write a little ditty about how shitty the smiths are, (I’ve helped out there with a little rhyme)
I know it’s over is perhaps the most beautiful lyric I’ve heard but I love this one,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f00uw-EY3Ew

3 Likes

The clue is in the thread title, mate - the one you came into to tell us how much you can’t stand Morrissey and have to turn off the radio when he comes on… Does that help?

2 Likes

He doesn’t like Morrissey for political reasons.

The thread title says “The Smiths”, mate.

You asked me what I thought of “the Smiths”.

That’s a different question altogether.

Because Morrissey called out Muslims?

1 Like

I dislike* the second side of Strangeways, other than the wonderful ‘I Won’t Share You’.

Paint a Vulgar Picture is about 2 minutes too long and the lyrics are quite ridiculous when you consider the amount of ‘re-issue, re-package’ done by the Smiths and Morrissey as a solo artist.

*in comparison to other Smiths stuff. Perfectly fine when compared to other bands.

Does the thread title stop dead at the word Smiths, mate? You should contact the mods, it appears thread titles aren’t working properly for you… then again, given that the thread is discussing the merits of the band The Smiths and it’s members, anyone with an IQ above 68 would probably have pieced things together even if they were experiencing trouble with thread titles.

Extra track and a tacky badge.
It’s a song that I’ve always loved, can’t even explain why, this is my other left field favourite
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p4VZFYjhvtE

Manchester.

So much to answer for.

It’s odd and oddballs like to think doing or celebrating oddball things make them a step above the average Joe.

Marr is cracking on it as usual.

Like wearing a shirt two days in a row?

3 Likes

It was a thing between him and his fans -Like coke with the Gallaghers.

What’s this about?

Like pretending to be intellectuals with Smiths fans?

No, mate … If you’re really that interested you can look it up.

You asked a question which wasn’t specific and indicated that you weren’t talking about the band “The Smiths”, but rather “the Smiths” - ie. an unspecified family or a larger group of people with the surname “Smith”, quite possibly meaning every person in the world named Smith.

In response to your question, I can’t really give you an answer - there are too many people named “Smith” to give a generalised response.

I like some people named Smith, like the former Arsenal striker and now pundit Alan Smith, the former Liverpool FC chairman John Smith, the singer Patti Smith, that guy Peter Smith who does radio reports from Premier League games in Manchester, and the singer of the band The Fall, Mark. E. Smith.

However I dislike other people named Smith, such as the former swimmer Michelle, and the chap who co-founded the arms manufacturer Smith & Wesson.

Overall though, I think this is a too small a sample size from the millions of people worldwide named Smith to assert a generalised response one way or the other as to whether I like them or not.

I hope you understand the response - it really was the sort of question somebody with an IQ of 68 would ask.

I have Smiths fanboys sussed.

All fur, no knickers.

:ok_hand: