The Smiths - The Greatest Indie Band of All Time?

All an act.

Decent new song from Johnny Marr
ā€˜Hi Helloā€™

https://youtu.be/vT_IlY0A4_0

Fagan

Was that when Morrissey used to put all the flowers in his arse pocket ??

It was indeed.

The Smiths - The Smiths is currently my favourite album

cc @farmerinthecity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGktTbBAHM0

Morrissey hates that album apparently.

Morrissey is a wanker.

1 Like

Heā€™s certainly an odd one anyway.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been listening to the Smiths for the past hour, my eldest girl is very intrigued by some of the lyrics, and Iā€™ve come to the conclusion that itā€™s very hard to stay mad at Morrissey despite the evidence that he is an absolute cunt, the body of work from 82 to about 95 is just phenomenal, can we separate the artist from the human being and still become lost in admiration?
In the past 15 or so minutes
Paint a vulgar picture,
rusholme ruffians
I know itā€™s over
Cemetery gates

4 Likes

The devil will find work for idle hands to doā€¦ But iā€™m still fond of you, pal.

1 Like

He wrote song outstanding songs, not a hot take I know
Greatest Irish band ever

The Morrissey who wrote the likes of Suffer Little Children, Death of a Disco Dancer and numerous songs related to class is not the same Morrissey that appears before us today.

I donā€™t know - I think he has always been a very socially awkward individual and seems almost content on being obnoxious in interviews. His life was about embracing the beauty of Englishness with the kitchen sink drama and all the rest and he now complains that this has all been eroded away by immigration. It is a view, not a particularly nice view particularly considering his Irish background, but I donā€™t think it makes him racist.

It does yes.

I think the key to understanding Morrissey is the Irish street that he grew up on in Manchester where he was related to nearly everyone on the entire street. They were all each otherā€™s cousins, they had all emigrated. He portrays himself as an outsider and he obviously was to a certain extent but he grew up surrounded by an incredible sense of community that is now gone.

In my opinion heā€™s a racist and the Tommy Robinson thing was unforgiveable.

As regards the question in the thread title, the answer is yes.

It turns out that thereā€™s been a book recently just on topic of Morrisseyā€™s politics. It has good reviews:

1 Like

Bang on as usual.

2 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

I always thought this song was overrated. But I canā€™t stop listening over the last while. Still wouldnā€™t be gone on the intro.

1 Like

Paint a vulgar picture is my favourite Smiths tune, stretch out and wait is my next favourite

Neither would be in many top 20 lists but both grabbed me from the start