The Snooker Thread (Part 1)

The worlds is only around the corner lads, will have to back Barry Hawkins again this year. Cannot wait!

Ronnie got it done 6-4

I’m very optimistic that 2019 will finally be Jimmy White’s year to lift that elusive first world title.

What’s Ronnie’s story with the Australian accent?

Trying to keep himself interested for the week

Get under the skin of robertson. Very disrespectful to mimic someone’s accent. I like Ronnie but that carryon lacks class.

Ronnie leading Robertson 6-1 in the final of the Players Championship at the Preston Guild Hall.

1 Like

Ronnie O’Sullivan is world number 1 again.

Ronnie O’Sullivan is 43.

Ronnie O’Sullivan is a genius.

1 Like

Great to see a snooker thread here.

Hurricane Higgins is one of Ireland’s greatest ever sportsmen. Hard to believe he only won 2 world titles.

Davis vs Taylor in 85 was one of the greatest finishes to a final of any sport ever. I watched it with Pat, Dan and Mikey. We still talk about it.

I’ve always said I’d go to the Crucible some day. I haven’t yet. Maybe I never will. Who knows ?

Neil Robertson v Jack Lisowski in the final of the China Open tomorrow, last ranking event before proceedings get under way at the Crucible in a fortnight. There’s a lot of prize money, ranking points and a more fabourable draw for the World Championship up for grabs- £245,000 for the winner.

Robertson started the tournament ranked 7, is guaranteed to be up to 6 and up to 4 if he wins final.

Lisowski started ranked 15, is guaranteed to be up to 11 and will be up to 8 if he wins final.

Aaron Hill, the European under 18 champion, leads Gerard Greene 5-4 after the first session of their world championship first round qualifier.

Another young Cork cueman enters the fray on Friday when Ross Bulman tackles the living legend Jimmy White in the opening round. Jimmy’s quest for that elusive world title will have the forum on the edge of its seat.

Michael Judge is currently level with Peter Lines 6-6 in a dour battle that could go into the small hours.

1 Like

The qualifiers for the World Snooker Championship are a real test of nerve and endurance.
Hopefully a few of the Irish contingent progress.
The road to the Crucible is an arduous one.

3 Likes

I’m quietly optimistic that Jimmy will do it this year.

2 Likes

If Jimmy beats Bulman he will more than likely face Ali Carter in the second qualifying round. It’s tough but winnable for The Whirlwind.

Michael Judge won 10-9 and will face world #23 Xiao Guodong in the 2nd round.

I loves the snooker. Often played a few frames with Pat in our younger days.

The draw is very lobsided this year. A lot of the top players in the same half.

• Mark Williams (1) v Qualifier

• David Gilbert (16) v Qualifier

• Barry Hawkins (9) v Qualifier

• Kyren Wilson (8) v Qualifier

• John Higgins (5) v Qualifier

• Stuart Bingham (12) v Qualifier

• Shaun Murphy (13) v Qualifier

• Neil Robertson (4) v Qualifier

• Mark Selby (3) v Qualifier

• Luca Brecel (14) v Qualifier

• Jack Lisowski (11) v Qualifier

• Mark Allen (6) v Qualifier

• Judd Trump (7) v Qualifier

• Ding Junhui (10) v Qualifier

• Stephen Maguire (15) v Qualifier

• Ronnie O’Sullivan (2) v Qualifier

The crucible is one of the world’s great sporting theatres.

Also the crucible patrons are rightly renowned as been the most knowledgeable attendees in sport

1 Like

Neil Robertson on paper anyway looks to have that top side of the draw to himself. He’s been in four ranking finals since start of February, winning two of them. Likes of Mark Williams, John Higgins, Barry Hawkins and Shaun Murphy not in good form and have not had good seasons.

Nearly all the other main contenders are loaded in bottom half - Ronnie, Judd Trump, Mark Allen, Mark Selby, possibly Ding. Selby hasn’t had a great two years since last winning at the Crucible but still a threat. Trump has had a good recent record against Ronnie.

A tentative long range prediction of a Robertson v Trump Final.

1 Like

As long as that horrible bastard Higgins gets nowhere near the latter stages I’ll be happy.

5 Likes