The Snooker Thread (Part 1)

Absolutely dire standard in that game, one of the worst second round games ever at the Crucible. I’d imagine that was Ken’s swansong, he’s eligible for the senior’s tour very soon.

Robertson and Allen locked in a titanic struggle, the Aussie has just leveled it at 7-7 with an immaculate 137 total clearance. This one looks like it’s going to go down to the wire. The winner of this plays the winner of the Judd Trump V Ryan Day game. Trump leads 10-6.

On the other table Shaun Murphy leads Marco Fu 9-7 with the winner facing The Rocket in the 1/4 final.

Quarter Final line up complete. Robertson v Trump the pick of them. Ronnie, Hawkins & Selby should win the other three.

(1)Ronnie O’Sullivan -v- (8)Shaun Murphy
(5)Barry Hawkins -v- Dominic Dale

(3)Mark Selby -v- Alan McManus
(2)Neil Robertson -v- (7) Judd Trump

First time since 1999 the top 3 seeds have all made it through to the Quarter Finals.

Heard Ken Doherty being interviewed two weeks ago. Said he fancied Shaun Murphy to go close this year.

[QUOTE=“Manuel Zelaya, post: 938228, member: 377”]Quarter Final line up complete. Robertson v Trump the pick of them. Ronnie, Hawkins & Selby should win the other three.

(1)Ronnie O’Sullivan -v- (8)Shaun Murphy
(5)Barry Hawkins -v- Dominic Dale

(3)Mark Selby -v- Alan McManus
(2)Neil Robertson -v- (7) Judd Trump

First time since 1999 the top 3 seeds have all made it through to the Quarter Finals.[/QUOTE]

Top match and bottom match look like potential crackers.

The Rocket got a right scare in the last round, but his class shone through. I can’t see Murphy troubling him on current form. O’Sullivan has looked human at times this season, notably against Bingham in the UK Open and Chinese prodigy Yu Delu at the players championship. But his overall standard of form is exceptional and even if Murphy raises his game I can still see Ronnie reeling off a number of frames like he did against Perry in the last round. Ronnie looks to be in a great place mentally and it will take something special to stop him.

The Hawkins V Dale game is very intriguing. Hawkins is superb over these long games and proved he is in fine fettle as he wore down Ricky Walden in the last round. The Spaceman Dominic Dale is also in good form, he has brushed aside his first two opponents and is full of confidence after winning the snooker shoot out. This could be a very good game.

Selby will dismiss McManus.

The Robertson V Trump tie is undoubtedly the pick of the 1/4 finals. Robertson is on the verge of becoming the first player to knock in 100 centuries in a season, a truly staggering milestone. He will be attacked from all angles by Trump who has been playing his usual ultra-aggressive game. He has been making plenty of mistakes and Day and Ford were too close to him for my liking. If he plays that loose Robertson will destroy him. But if he pulls it off he is one of the few players that can rattle the world number 1.

[QUOTE=“Sandymount Red, post: 938296, member: 1074”]The Rocket got a right scare in the last round, but his class shone through. I can’t see Murphy troubling him on current form. O’Sullivan has looked human at times this season, notably against Bingham in the UK Open and Chinese prodigy Yu Delu at the players championship. But his overall standard of form is exceptional and even if Murphy raises his game I can still see Ronnie reeling off a number of frames like he did against Perry in the last round. Ronnie looks to be in a great place mentally and it will take something special to stop him.

The Hawkins V Dale game is very intriguing. Hawkins is superb over these long games and proved he is in fine fettle as he wore down Ricky Walden in the last round. The Spaceman Dominic Dale is also in good form, he has brushed aside his first two opponents and is full of confidence after winning the snooker shoot out. This could be a very good game.

Selby will dismiss McManus.

The Robertson V Trump tie is undoubtedly the pick of the 1/4 finals. Robertson is on the verge of becoming the first player to knock in 100 centuries in a season, a truly staggering milestone. He will be attacked from all angles by Trump who has been playing his usual ultra-aggressive game. He has been making plenty of mistakes and Day and Ford were too close to him for my liking. If he plays that loose Robertson will destroy him. But if he pulls it off he is one of the few players that can rattle the world number 1.[/QUOTE]

Did I hear Neal Foulds mention on Eurosport tonight that Trump’s highest break in the tournament so far is 78? He will need to up his game considerably if he’s to repeat his first round win of 2011.

Yeah, he’s had a few breaks in the 70s but hasn’t made a century yet. His two games have been very scrappy, against Ford he was going for everything and scattering the balls all over the shop. He was very lucky to get through that game. But his attacking style could get under Robertson’s skin if he has some early success.

First two semi-finals about to start, Rob Walker introducing the players as I type. Dale V Hawkins and Selby V McManus.

Hawkins 3-1 Dale at the mid session interval.

McManus has just won a marathon third frame on the black, he trails the Jester 2-1 however.

2-2 between the jester and angles at the interval

Hawkins has extended his lead to 4-1

[QUOTE=“thedancingbaby, post: 938393, member: 48”]2-2 between the jester and angles at the interval

Hawkins has extended his lead to 4-1[/QUOTE]
Snooker’s Robbie Williams really missed a trick by not giving himself the nickname “Angles”.

There was an interview with him at the snooker shoot out where he said he was thinking of being a footballer when he was he kid,but he’s loving angles instead.

After first session Hawkins leads 6-2 and Selby leads 4-3.

O’Sullivan and Murphy have shared the opening 4 frames

Murphy should have been 4-0 up and has been punished by the Rocket who leads 6-2 at the end of the first session.

Trump 6-2 up on Robertson at session’s end

Selby has sent McManus on his way, 13-5. Scrappy first session but the Jester’s class was too much for the veteran in the end. Hawkins leads Dale 11-5 and is on the verge of setting up a repeat of last year’s final against the Rocket who leads Shaun Murphy 10-3. Murphy has continued to throw away frames, he missed a simple pink in the last frame and is sitting in his chair looking a picture of dejection as O’Sullivan is in amongst the balls again in frame 14.

Ronnie wins 13 out of 14 frames to complete a 13-3 hammering of @Bandage

Most of the players are beaten before the play Ronnie.
Mark Selby is the only player left that Ronnie knows will not crumble to him, but he is not playing his A game.