The Snooker Thread (Part 2)

Theres no one left likely to stink the place out though, would be pretty surprised if tickets weren’t taken up from semi final stages on.

If they aren’t, Hearn will have a field day mind you

It’s only 900 tickets.

1 Like

Not necessarily.

The opposition in the mid 90s for Hendry was very poor.

His 1999 win was probably his best.

He fell off a cliff after that when the likes of O’Sullivan and Higgins were really dominating.

O’Sullivan has stayed at the top level for 30 years. That’s incredible but then again he is incredible.

2 Likes

Wilson - Gilbert go into the mid-session break tied 2 all

He fell off a cliff when some airline snapped his cue that he’d been using since he was a kid. He had won 7 world titles with it and probably would have won many more were it not for that.
You can literally see the watermark in Hendrys career right at that moment. From Beating O Sullivan everytime when it mattered in World semi finals, quarter finals, Masters final, UK championship to losing 17-4 to Ronnie in 2004 in world championship. He was never the same player. A prime Hendry was unbeatable in his day.

3 Likes

3all now - standard seems a small bit higher so far but I am only half watching it

Nigel Bond v Andy Hicks in the 1995 semi final was quite a novel pairing.

Alain Robidoux semi finalist in 1997.

Stephen Hendry played Jimmy White in the other semi-final in 1995. Some bollix they made of the draw that year.

Robidoux was another whose career fell off a cliff after his cue got smashed. A quick Google says it was a cue doctor who smashed it in anger when he saw a Riley sticker on it.

4-4. Not hanging around

Session started at 1pm. That early start for first semi final session always catches me out.

Has 17-16 all over it.

Didn’t he walk off against O’Sullivan one year without shaking hands after accusing Ronnie of showboating by playing left handed?

Yes. 1996 I think. O’Sullivan gave plenty back in his interview afterwards.

Ronnie on pundit duty on eurosport tonight

2 Likes

Bingham 3-0. Continuing the momentum from last night.

He was dead right.

Idiots and their phones

Loads of players play shots off their bad hand these days

Wilson v Gilbert 8-8. Whoever gets a two frame advantage will win it. Very good standard.

Love see Gilbert win. Something about Wilson I just dont like