The Stock Market Flutter Thread

Same same but different

1 Like

41% tax on gains. You don’t get to describe them as capital gains and write losses off against gains I believe.

1 Like

The end is nigh. It began with people investing in tulips and now we have tulips investing!

As Joe Kennedy said in 1929 it’s time to head for the exits when the shoeshine boy is giving you stock tips.

1 Like

You can get CGT treatment by buying US ETFs. Mugs buying Lux ETFs through Rabo thinking they’re Gordon Gecko get stuck paying 41%.

Not more risk if you invest with a decent house and use guaranteed stop losses. Also gains are tax free and there’s no stamp duty on spreadbetting.

10k in bitcoin today will be 100k in 12 months

Any lads who took our advice at 5k have doubled their money in 8 weeks.

Ride that :rocket:

Well losses can be locked in much more quickly. If Google are down 10% and my spreadbetting stop-loss kicks in I take a loss immediately. If I own a share of Google though I don’t need to realise the loss.

Imho, spread-betting is only suitable for those who really know what they’re doing, otherwise it’s a mug’s game.

This is tfk pal. Relax. We have this under control.

3 Likes

@TheUlteriorMotive, how do I short sell bitcoin?

Collect all the cash you want to use to short it and set a match to it.

1 Like

Look at ledgerx

https://www.google.ie/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2017/07/25/ledgerx-short-bitcoin-cryptocurrency

Lads, what methods would ye use to evaluate a share price? Specific websites etc? I’m looking at buying shares in a few months if everything goes tits up with Brexit/ China/US/ the world in general. What would be your best way of researching this shit?
Ta in advance cc @Tim_Riggins @anon7035031 @tallback @TheUlteriorMotive

Researching the market in general, indices or individual stocks?

Any and all. TripAdvisor to be specific.

Seeking Alpha will get you all the articles on TRIP or any stock. For buy/sell signals I use stockcharts which has free charts that can be customized. According to the signals I follow TRIP has been a sell since last December and continues to look very weak.

Ta. Why do you think it’s weak? I’ve no idea about stocks in general but have an ok record in picking them based on companies I think are undervalued at the time. I think TripAdisor are growing like Japanese knotweed in the tourism industry and are adding platform after platform and will have a giant marketshare of the booking market and are opening more of their own avenues of revenue and growing their influence all the time.

I don’t really follow individual stocks, but Expedia seem better positioned than them. Most of the analysts who follow TRIP rate them a Hold or Sell, but say they may come good in 2020.

Care for some magic beans?

Are they generating cash? Look for companies with good cashflow records.