The tangential opening paragraph to a sports article thread

I presume the €40k goodbye party was for the great Frank? And the county board laden down with debt. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Padraic O’Duffy is the only other one I could think of, and it would be unlikely for him I’d imagine.

they love an expensive goodbye party in cork

Someone else can post it up

Kimmage has part one of an interview with Gary O’Toole in the Sindo today. Might be worth a look later. I’m going for a spin.

Darragh O’Se

Watching the New York v Sligo game on the weekend reminded me of the time there was a shooting in Gaelic Park. This must have been around 10 or 15 years ago at least. Nobody was too badly hurt or anything. If I remember rightly, the headline in the paper over there was something like “Gunplay at Gaelic Park”. Gunplay!

Anyway, I didn’t need the newspaper to hear about it. Somebody always knows somebody so the story came back from fellas who were there in the clubhouse bar when it happened. After the initial panic at the gunshots, it didn’t take too long for everything to calm down and for the place to get back to normal.

The NYPD arrived to arrest the lad in question and to take witness statements and secure the area and the whole bit. By all accounts, there were a couple of fellas from Listowel sitting at the bar and after a while they got impatient at the fact that their night was being interrupted.

“Come here to me,” one of them says to the cop. “There’s no need to be going to all this fuss. Everybody knows what happened. That fella there shot that fella there and that’s all there is to it. Everybody saw it. So could ye get with it? We’re having a pint here. . . ”

Never mind the gunplay, serious business is serious business.

1 Like

Brutal

The larcenous nature of the opening* words of boring articles about sport, their habit of breaking in on others when we are least prepared, has seldom been more sickeningly demonstrated than in most sports articles you’ll read, as people run out of things to write about and so plagiarise, steal words or insert shite comparisons or twee, made up anecdotes to pad out the article to the required word count.

*Not necessarily just the opening words.

1 Like

You have to admire his willingness to get to that word count. No matter what it takes

I am aware that I frequently make performatively absurd comparisons and analogies between sporting events and more serious events, ie. recently I compared Dublin’s loss of their first four NFL matches to Vladimir Putin suddenly looking toppleable (Is that a word? I don’t think so) and comparing the military state of play and outlook in war between heroic Ukraine and the sub-human Nazi scum of Russia to a finely balanced cricket Test Match. So don’t bother pointing that out.

1 Like

Not a sport.

Dafuq?

GAA FOOTBALL

Cahair O’Kane: No great team means a great journey for everyone

The journey is where it’s at for supporters, and the fact that there’s no outstanding team in this year’s championship is allowing everyone to dream a little. Picture by Philip Walsh

Cahair O’Kane

26 June, 2023 15:46

THERE’S a lovely Audi Q2 in front with two collie dogs in the back seat.

One staring out the back window, its head tilted to the side, a kind of a cross between ‘hmm’ and ‘what are you looking at?’.

The rear window on the driver’s side is screwed down just enough for the other dog’s head to fit out through.

Eyes closed, the cool breeze billowing through its hair, the contentment dripping like the slabbers from its flapping smile. It wouldn’t have looked out of place on the strip in Las Vegas, headed for the Bellagio in a limo.

But this is not Vegas. This is Athlone on the return leg of the run from Salthill on Sunday, having seen Galway’s All-Ireland dream brought crashing to a halt.

3 Likes