The Tennis Thread

That is incorrect as Nadal was beaten 10 - 8 in the fifth set, he would have had to get to 12 - 12 for the tie break to kick in.

What?

Those two giraffes delayed his game by several hours meaning it had to be played over two days.

3 Likes

It seems to have escaped your attention that Nadal’s semi final opponent Djokovic also had to wait for the first semi final to end and played the semi final over two days as well. In fairness its a fairly novel excuse you’re trotting out for Nadal losing.Still a shit one though.

Which suited Novak down to the ground. No way he’d have made it through a five setter on the evening. Rafa was absolutely screwed. If that was roger pederer they’ve have banished the two giraffes to court 1 and rollled out the red carpets for him to ensure his game wasn’t disrupted.

Utter nonsense.

Djokovic had just won the third set, was back on top with all the momentum when players were called off for the night. If they’d played to a conclusion on the Friday night, Djokovic would most likely have won in 4 as Nadal was wilting at that stage. In terms of the ebb and flow of the match, Djokovic would appear to have been more disadvantaged. Djokovic was sluggish when they came back on court on the Saturday, was broken early in the 4th set by a refreshed Nadal and lost the fourth set.

Nadal as that Friday night progressed was also feeling the physical affects of having played a 5 set quarter final on the Wednesday night against Del Potro that went on for well over 4 hours and didn’t finish until about 9pm. It was far more in Nadal’s interest than Djokovic to get off court on the Friday night.

Delays in getting on court and matches running into a second day are a fact of life in Grand Slam tennis. In the French Open a few weeks prior to that, Nadal was a set down and a breakdown in the second set to Diego Schwartzmann when the rain came to his rescue. That match like the Djokovic semi final at the Championship also went into a second day. Schwartman’s momentum was broken. Nadal broke back in second set and won in 4 sets.

Nadal was royaly screwed. He had absolutely no chance in a two day game. He would have won that forth set for sure and outlasted Novak in the 5th. He was absolutely screwed.

Read my previous post.

Even by the lofty standards of innovative excuses from the Nadal cheerleaders, that is some shite you’re spouting.

It drives these lads demented that Nadal will never surpass Federer. It’s fascinating to watch

It does. I checked it out there on the Official Championship website and my recall was more or less correct. The Nadal v Del Potro quarter final on the Wednesday evening/night lasted 4 hours 48 minutes and didn’t finish up until 8.45pm.

Djokovic best Nishikori in his quarter final on the Wednesday afternoon in almost half that time 2 hours 35 minutes finishing at 3.45pm.

After nearly 3 hours on court for 3 sets in the semi final against Djokovic just 48 hours later and Nadal wilting and tiring to lose the 3rd set just before they came off court for the night, it’s some claim by @anon32894817 that if they’d stayed on court and played to a finish Nadal would have reeled off two sets to comeback and win in 5 against a player of the calibre of Djokovic.

Nadal was the main beneficiary of coming off court for the night on the Friday.

In the words of Alan Pardew “When you’re the king you can do anything”

Interesting that Nadal and Djokovic are usually blackguarded for the benefit of Federer.

The stuffy cunts screwed rafa in Wimbledon last year.

2 Likes

he does

when I went to the brissy international, he was due to start in the qtr final but as he was jet lagged he got a bye into the next round

1 Like

How so?

:grinning::grinning:

3 Likes

Andy Murray is 1 set down.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Murray retire from this match here. He’s hobbling about the place.

I thought he was going to retire from the match when he lost the second set.