The Tennis Thread

Safin v Baghdatis is ongoing at the minute. Looks like quite a tussle.

Can’t see anybody but Federer winning this. He’s just awesome. It’s a bit unusual that I don’t begrudge him at all. Often I take a dislike to sports stars that are head and shoulders above the rest but not him.

Let!

Imaginatively titled thread there Clarkey.

Net!

Yeah Federer’s a weird one - I’m the same: didn’t like Schumacher or Hendry at his pomp or anyone like that (Sampras too) but Federer I think is just a class act for some reason. Part of it is that I’ve no time for Nadal and I think it’s funny how “tennis experts” keep talking about the gap narrowing when they’re miles wide of the mark.

If/when Nadal wins the French Open there’ll be articles afterwards saying how, even taking the surface into account, Federer showed signs of succumbing to Nadal’s brilliance. It will be horeshit of course.

SET.

[quote=“therock67”]Yeah Federer’s a weird one - I’m the same: didn’t like Schumacher or Hendry at his pomp or anyone like that (Sampras too) but Federer I think is just a class act for some reason. Part of it is that I’ve no time for Nadal and I think it’s funny how “tennis experts” keep talking about the gap narrowing when they’re miles wide of the mark.

If/when Nadal wins the French Open there’ll be articles afterwards saying how, even taking the surface into account, Federer showed signs of succumbing to Nadal’s brilliance. It will be horeshit of course.

SET.[/quote]

Nadal won the French Open the last 3 years.

Bet.

That was my point. Of course he wins it but every year it’s seen as some sort of turning point, which it’s clearly not.

Wet.

There was no need to clarify your point as it was obvious what you were saying. Well, at least I thought it was until Clarkey came thundering in like an Andy Roddick serve with his ridiculous comment. And it only 2 days after making a show of himself over on the astro team forum too.

Guy Forget.

I don’t get what’s going on here.

Was Safin not the last player to beat Federer in a Grand Slam apart from Nadal?

He beat him in the Oz Open a few years back in the semis and went on to beat Hewitt in the final.

[quote=“Bandage”]There was no need to clarify your point as it was obvious what you were saying. Well, Iat least thought it was until Clarkey came thundering in like and Andy Roddick serve with his ridiculous comment. And it only 2 days after making a show of himself over on the astro team forum too.

Guy Forget.[/quote]

His post says if/when Nadal wins the French Open. It implies to me that he hasn’t. When we all know he has. Simply pointed it out because the pedant corrected my German grammar.

Abends, ich gehe ins Kino.

Ich will in die Disko gehen.

Das Kino ist furchtbar.

Nicholas Kiefer.

Federer isn’t at 100%, someone has to beat him this year. He’s on cruise at the moment, but it’s expected that no-one would have taken a set off him by this point. Hopefully it will get interesting from the semi-final stage onwards, if someone takes the first against him, or goes 2-1 up, we’ll see if he’s lost anything - chances are he hasn’t of course, but until we see someone drag him into a 5 set slugfest we don’t know.

Maria Kirilenko ate my hamster.

[quote=“ClarkeyCat”]

Abends, ich gehe ins Kino.[/quote]

Doch, Herr Verband

Abends gehe Ich ins Kino

oder

Heute abend gehe Ich ins Kino

Alles Klar und Wunderbar!

Ich liebe Tennis.

Djokovic is 2 sets to love up on Federer. Thought he might beat him and so far so good. Would be nice to see a final not involving Federer.

Federer beaten in straight sets. got me thinking. When was the last Grand Slam men’s final not involving either Federer or Nadal ? Anyone know ?

I remember Becker playing Lendl in Wimbledon back in the 80s - might have been a semi-final though?

Safin in the Australian Open 2004 maybe? I’m guessing here as my tennis knowledge is not what it once was.

You’re not a million miles away ClarkeyCat…it was the 2005 Australian Open when Safin beat Lleyton Hewitt

I thought Nadal got to the Australian Open final in 2005? Was the previous one not the Wimbledon final that Michael Stich won in 1991 then? That was a great achievement for the German as he overcame a severe cramp in his side to take the title.

Federer beaten in straight sets

Well I never.

Nadal hasn’t reached a grand slam final that Federer hasn’t been involved in. So the question is when was the last time Federer didn’t reach a Grand Slam final? That was this tournament in 2005 where he was beaten by Safin in the semis which I eludued to earlier in the thread

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Federer beaten in straight sets

Well I never.

Nadal hasn’t reached a grand slam final that Federer hasn’t been involved in. So the question is when was the last time Federer didn’t reach a Grand Slam final? That was this tournament in 2005 where he was beaten by Safin in the semis which I eludued to earlier in the thread[/quote]

Incorrect. Nadal’s first French Open victory was against Puerta in the final. Now you get your facts straight.

Hewitt is some c0ck.

Safin is gas. I remember him getting fined for not trying a good few years back. He got so thick with himself he was just letting his opponent beat him and deliberately firing his shots into the net and out and stuff and just tapping his serve over.