The Tennis Thread

Tsitispas serve is killing him. You won’t win matches with a 56% first service rate.

Tsitispas takes the 2nd set in a tie break.

The Great Man in bother now. Two hours to play first two sets spells trouble for an old man. Going to be a huge ask to overcome a player as talented as Tsitsipas seventeen years his junior.

Cilic out.

Looks worrying for him. Tsitsipas now beginning to put pressure on his service games which was not happening in the first two sets. Federer looks well off colour today, he looks to be playing it very safe and waiting for Tsitsipas to mess up which he’s not really doing that often.

He’s 3-1 If you fancy it

Tsitsipas?

He’s still not getting enough first serves in for my liking.

First break points in the match for Tsitsipas.

Federer holds, that was a big chance for the Greek. One he had to take you feel.

Tsitsipas wins the third, first break of serve.

Tsitispas getting medical treatment in the fourth set.

Federer will now serve to stay in the tournament.

Federer will again serve to stay in the tournament, this time to force a tie break.

Tie break it is.

3-3 in the tiebreaker

5-4 to Tsitsipas, Fed to serve

Tsitispas has made a number of silly challenges in this match.

But he has now has match point on his serve.

Federer OUT.

He’s done it

Tsitsipas vastly upped his first service in rate in those last two sets and it told. I think 10 of the 12 break points Federer failed to convert were in the first two sets, once Tsitsipas upped that he looked the most likely winner.

I don’t think Federer played that well and I wouldn’t put it down to age, he really should have capitalised in those first two sets.

Tsitsipas was very impressive on his mental side in those crucial points.

Father time catches up on the great man. Tsipitas has a great game. Finally we might be some movement from the young guns to shift the big 3. Great win as well for Tiafoe.

A great day for the Aussie-Greek community.

1 Like

Signs on that front have been there for the past 12 months. He had a poor 2018 in the few events he played after winning in Melbourne last January. Tsitsipas looks like he’ll be the real deal, so its not that much of a surprise really, certainly not in the same scale as losing a two set lead to Big Kevin Anderson at the Championship or losing to John Millman at Flushing Meadows.

There is a real changing of the guard all of a sudden. Regular staples of the Top 10 for the best part of a decade Berdych, Ferrer, Gasquet, and Tsonga are all freefalling down the rankings as are two more, multiple slam winners Sir Andy and Wawrinka. Federer is finished as a Grand Slam winning force. Question now is how long Nadal and Djokovic can stave off Father Time. That’s a good result for tennis today. A player with the potential and talent of Tsitsipas shouldn’t be losing to a player 17 years his senior, even Federer. Sport really could do with a first time Grand Slam winner next Sunday.

I’m happy to wait until Nadal or Djokovic rightfully overtake Federer in the slam count.

The Great Man has announced that he’s going to play the clay court season this year.