The Tennis Thread

What a miss by Djokovic

Djokovic is tight here but Tsitsipas is fucking it up.

He’s very, very nervous here.

30-30.

Championship point.

What a saving shot that is

Championship point #2

Tremendous stuff

Djokovic moves to 19.

Will he do the calendar slam this year?

Goodbye Roland Garros roll on the green grass of Queens club tomorrow and then manicured lawns of Wimbledon.

Could do the golden slam this year.

1 Like

He’s never done the channel slam.

It’s a tough feat tbf.

He went out in R3 when he won RG in 2016.

I doubt there’s ever been a physical accomplishment of that nature to win a Grand Slam. In the space of 6 days - 4 matches and 4 wins with 3 hours 27, 3 hours 28, 4 hours 11 and 4 hours 11 (again) spent on court. And all at the age of 34. Two players 12 and 15 years his junior overhauled from 2 sets up.

I’ve already given you one. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

I must have missed that post. You named checked a Grand Slam winner that spent more than 15 hours 17 minutes over the last four rounds of a Grand Slam, at least twice coming from 2 sets down?

I’ve given you a 35 year old who won a slam in 2017 with 3 of his last 4 matches going the distance, all against younger opponents.

Djokovic’s title this year isn’t as striking as that.

Cilic beat Auger Aliassime in the final in Stuttgart today. Queens and Halle underway in earnest tomorrow.

Be interesting to see how Djokovic goes over the grass court season after investing so much in the French this year. It’s back from 5 to 4 weeks between finals this year. I don’t expect Federer to be a factor at the Championship, wouldn’t be surprised if he failed to make second week. Nadal may well skip it. Could finally be a time for a changing of the guard.

I’d be fairly sure Nadal would play, since Moya has came in and he has readjusted his game he has done well the past few years.

The conditions generally become more suitable to Nadal as Wimbledon goes on when the grass recedes and the baseline firms up. It’s just vital that he keeps away from the big servers in the early rounds. He’ll be praying he can avoid Kyrgios or Cilic in an early round.

The rest have very little pedigree on grass. Granted a lot of them are much further on than they were in 2019. Tsitsipas and Zverev have contested grand slam finals and Medvedev has been in two, Thiem has won a slam as well. For me Tsitsipas has the perfect game for grass but I think he could go out early due to the manner he lost RG in, think he will be brittle mentally.

Federer will make a QF at least. Grass is his best surface and he was reasonably impressive in RG when you consider all the circumstances. It was reallya tune up event for him to get some tennis and hours in his legs.

Murray beats Paire at Queen’s club.

Nadal has pulled out of Wimbledon and the Olympics.

As I predicted on Sunday.