The Tennis Thread

it’s effectively the same thing brains. All unseeded players having the same value

The US Open is the only Slam that Big Kev has made it past the Round of 16 on two occasions. He was a finalist at Flushing Meadows in 2017 and a Quarter Finalist in 2015.

Big Kev’s win/loss record at the four Grand Slams are:

Australia - 12 Wins 11 Losses - 52%
French Open - 17 Wins 9 Losses - 65%
Championship - 18 wins 10 Losses - 64%
US Open - 22 wins 9 Losses - 71%

US Open is where he has advanced furthest on most occasions, recorded most wins and has the best winning percentage. It is indisputable that the US Open is Big Kev’s best Grand Slam.

There’s a strong argument to be made that Big Kev is more at home on the clay of Roland Garros than the grass of SW19. He has a higher winning percentage in Paris than he does at the Championship.

those bare percentages don’t tell the whole story, in my opinion. Tennis is very much dominated by a number of individuals, so for example if he is losing early enough to top seeds one year in one competition, it skews the percentages.

Yes a world no 33 having the same value as world no 300 is significantly flawed.

Giraffes go a lot better on grass and that is significantly proven.

Nadal home in 1h46m.

Vamos. His serving seems to be excellent this tournament. Hasn’t been broken since the first round.

1 Like

it’s the same as what you said, just averaging seeded players, the unseeded even themselves out. It’s just a way of accounting for the number of unseeded players they beat

That’s extremely subjective.

Do you see the goal posts over there, well now they are over here, no wait there they over there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Roland Garros 2018 (Seed 6)
Played 4 ultimately losing to 11th seed Schwartzman. Faced opp average 27.5

Roland Garros 2017 (unseeded)
Played 4 ultimately losing to 7th seed Cilic. Faced opponents average 22.75

I can’t recall Rafa having it this easy through to an Open final. He hasn’t dropped a set, his serve has only been broken twice which came in the first round and his longest match has lasted 2h22m.

It’s good to see him free if niggles and his final with Djokovic should be yet another classic.

1 Like

that’s extremely subjective

The last time they met in the final in Australia, it went on for nearly six hours with at least three hours of that given over to arse scratching, towelling off after ever point, hopping balls before every point for an eternity and general time wasting.

What was the score in Djokovic’s semi final? I didn’t get to see any of the tennis overnight/this morning.

Why? Djokovic is a 6 time Australian opener winner and Pouille is a bit of a journeyman in unchartered territory.

Widely regarded as greatest tennis match of all time. Nearly every Nadal Djokovic slam meeting is a classic. It’s the greatest rivalry in tennis.

On the 2012 Australian Open final.

• “What an unbelievable match! Best match I’ve seen in my lifetime for sure.” -Boris Becker
  • “By far the greatest match I ever saw. Incredible performances from both guys.” -Pete Sampras
  • “I think this was the best tennis match ever in the men’s game.” -Andre Agassi
  • “Wow what an unbelievable match to watch. Definitely the greatest match I’ve seen.” -Mats Wilander
  • “It showed what it takes to beat this top group of players. Truly fantastic match to watch. One of the greatest I’ve ever seen.” -Björn Borg
1 Like

Vamos rafa

1 Like

Let’s go Rafa, let’s go.

Needle Nadal has had a very handy run to the final

Nadal has shit the togs in a few finals in Australia. Was a break up leading 3-1 in the 5th set two years ago and then lost 5 games on the trot. Back in 2014, he seemed to have some kind of a mini breakdown against Wawrinka in the final. Be interesting to see if Nadsl can overcome that psychological baggage as he is the form player coming into this and looks like it’s only his to lose.

Novak playing like the greatest player of all time.