The TFK GAA Review of 2009

[media=youtube]U-GIRa-BNMw&feature=related

agreed on that
the complete performance in sporting terms…
the tipp lad who battered tommy walsh as well deserves an honourable mention.

Lowlights however would be the continual involvement of the catholic church in the sport. I still cannot understand why we have a fookin dirty catholic bishop presenting the cup to the minor all ireland champions and being allowed to give a patronising, atttention seeking “speech” beforehand.
shameful stuff from the GAA.
Why dosent a proddy vicar present the FA cup?
in israel you dont see some filthy rabbi presenting a football or basketball trophy?
the GAA again let us down,

Also, the continual decline of once competitive hurling counties like limerick , clare and wexford at senior level is worrying.
the bitterness harboured by the inhabitants of these places together with their lack of self esteem and confidence is the main root cause of their detriment.
The Cork hurlurs are at their lowest ebb in years and even with a homosexual goalkeeper would still destroy these counties in a competitive game,
Cork will be strong again in a few years and i predict we will see the all ireland SHC playd like the tri-nations in rugby with just cork, tipp and kk.

Clare’s U21 success will not lead to senior honours,like limerick, half the team will turn into alchoholic wifebeaters after winning an all ireland u-21 and they will piss it all away.

the way kerry showed up cork’s inability to produce some natural football ability and a plan B in this years AI final discredits anything Cork did positively this year…no man able to kick a point over the bar from outside the 45 yard line is a sad reflection on the state of modern day gaelic football…

Highlights

Clare u21 side, properly coached and managed playing the game in the right way and winning.
All Ireland hurling final.
Leinster football final.
Kerry’s performance against Dublin
Expect KIB winning Munster to be added to this.

Lowlights

Agree with Mickee on the bishop thing. Pretty disgusting.
Cork’s shameful display in the All Ireland football final.
The standard of football in general this year was diabolical.
The decline of hurling. KK or Tipp on a good day would beat the following by 15 points easy. Wexford, Clare, Limerick, Offaly, Laois, Dublin, Cork. Waterford and Galway marginally better.
The Cork strike.
Clare GAA.

Highlights

A decent hurling final for once

Lowlights
Limerick falling apart against tipp
Limerick hurling tearing itself apart
Limerick footballers fucking up another Munster final.
Clare hurling mess
Cork hurling strike
Cork capitulating in the football again
Hurling standards declining (Wexford,Limerick, Offaly, Clare etc)

Its been a shit year.

Hurling highlights would be a smashing u21 championship and a superb senior final. Lowlight was definitely Galway, and the puke hurling that destroyed every game they were a part of

Highlight for me and all Kilkenny hurling fans had to be the 4 in a row victory,the brilliant final made it all the better,this team is the greatest of all time now,its brilliant to be able to enjoy it,i know many men who would have loved to be around for the experience.

The other big highlight this Year from my point of view was the evolving of Rower/Inistioge man Joe Lyng into one of the top minor hurlers in Ireland in 2009,he was virtually unheard of in Kilkenny 2 Years ago due to the fact that he never attended these development squads that are a supposed must if yer ever going to make a Kilkenny underage team but got himself noticed through his outstanding displays with Good Counsel College in the Colleges championship,he has hurling and more importantly toughness and bottle to burn and could be the real deal yet.

Lowpoints were definitely our local clubs failure to hurl on the day they had to yet again,the Kilkenny minor teams poorish performance in the AI Final was dissapointing too,i wasnt as put out by the u21 loss for some reason.

Highlights

Club going through 5 championship games unbeaten in the first year up Senior.
Limerick beating Tipp in the first round of the football
First half of the Munster Football final

Lowlights

Pretty much everything else related to Limerick GAA.

[quote=“Lazarus”]Highlights
Tipp losing all ireland final

Low
Galway going out of both championships by a point in the space of 24 hours. This just a week after losing Connacht Final to Mayo by a point. Cuntish.[/quote]

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Highlights
Portlaoise annexing Leinster for the 7th time despite being shorn of the services of Colm Parkinson and Zach Tuohy
Laois retaining Liam Mc status and restoring some pride in Laois hurling
Laois minor hurlers defeating Dublin
The return of Colm Begley
Kerry v Dublin
Darragh O S going out on top

Lowlights
Laois senior footballers and Sen Dempsey
Laois U21 footballers tossing away a Leinster U21 final through sheer ineptitude
The loss of Zach Tuohy to AFL
Letting Limerick off the hook in hurling qualifiers
Laois U21 hurlers poor showing v Kilkenny with a team that should have had their measure or at least been very close
Zane Keenans leg break v Kerry in NHL
Yet another Cork hurling strike and other strikes in GAA

Who wants a fight?

[quote=“sid waddell”]Dublin v Tyrone under the lights was a cracking evening even though I froze my bollocks off.

Lowlights:
Dublin throwing away the U-21 semi-final v Cork amd minor quarter final v Down and losing both games by a point.

Pretty much the whole senior football championship was a lowlight this year.[/quote]

:eek:
They hardly threw it away, they were unlucky to loose a cracking game, but to say they threw it away would suggest Cork didn’t deserve it. Cork had the better individual displays that day, that was the difference.

I agree with you to an extent, but no Kerry player kicked a point from outside the 45 either.

The way teams have to walk in a point though is a problem with the game alright.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]I agree with you to an extent, but no Kerry player kicked a point from outside the 45 either.
[/quote]

Ya but Kerry didn’t need to.

Cork missed chances from 25-30 yards out as well, i don’t think the long range stuff is the issue to be honest.

Highlights: The AI Senior Hurling Final, an outstanding game won by undoubtedly the greatest team I’ve seen.

The redemption of Paul Galvin.

Lowlights - I’m from Wexford, where do I start? The real lowlight was the HWH Bunclody losing the Wexford Intermediate Final, to of all teams, Askamore.

Worst - the continuing collapse in the standards of hurling played by most counties.

Mickee - “Also, the continual decline of once competitive hurling counties like limerick , clare and wexford at senior level is worrying.
the bitterness harboured by the inhabitants of these places together with their lack of self esteem and confidence is the main root cause of their detriment.” - I don’t know about Limerick and Clare (well yes, I do know about Limerick and they are bitter cunts) - but I don’t think we’re bitter in Wexford, certainly not towards anyone else but ourselves, we take responsibility for our own situation.

Pikeman - Benny Dunne as a lowlight - are you saying the lowlight was the foul, or commiserating with Benny on his sending off?
2010 needs to be a whole lot better, at least we got a great hurling final, but what went before it was anything but great.

[quote=“mickee321”]agreed on that
the complete performance in sporting terms…
the tipp lad who battered tommy walsh as well deserves an honourable mention.

Lowlights however would be the continual involvement of the catholic church in the sport. I still cannot understand why we have a fookin dirty catholic bishop presenting the cup to the minor all ireland champions and being allowed to give a patronising, atttention seeking “speech” beforehand.
shameful stuff from the GAA.

Why dosent a proddy vicar present the FA cup?
in israel you dont see some filthy rabbi presenting a football or basketball trophy?
the GAA again let us down,

Also, the continual decline of once competitive hurling counties like limerick , clare and wexford at senior level is worrying.
the bitterness harboured by the inhabitants of these places together with their lack of self esteem and confidence is the main root cause of their detriment.
The Cork hurlurs are at their lowest ebb in years and even with a homosexual goalkeeper would still destroy these counties in a competitive game,
Cork will be strong again in a few years and i predict we will see the all ireland SHC playd like the tri-nations in rugby with just cork, tipp and kk.

Clare’s U21 success will not lead to senior honours,like limerick, half the team will turn into alchoholic wifebeaters after winning an all ireland u-21 and they will piss it all away.[/quote]

post of the year:clap::clap:

Yes

In that case, I concur.

Not sure about the ‘continuing decline’ comments in relation to Offaly, Wexford, Clare, Limerick etc. These counties have been fairly shite for large parts of the 125 year GAA history.