The TFK Vote Exchange Programme

Forest supporters are known for their impeccable manners Laz.

Itā€™s 5/1 for a no vote with Powers, that has to be overpriced

Iā€™ve met far more people who have said they are voting No.
I also think people who are against the change are more likely to come out and actually vote.

I donā€™t there will be more than a few % in it if the Yes side do win.

[quote=ā€œTreatyStones, post: 841152, member: 1786ā€]Iā€™ve met far more people who have said they are voting No.
I also think people who are against the change are more likely to come out and actually vote.

I donā€™t there will be more than a few % in it if the Yes side do win.[/quote]

That would be my thinking too. Iā€™ve stuck a few quid on at 13/2 on the machine on this basis as Iā€™d make it more of a 2/1 shot.

I would vote yes for the new appeal court but would probably vote no (reluctantly) about abolishing the Senate. I donā€™t see why the likes of Mac and Shannonsider should have a senate vote but the likes of Carryharry do not. And I think senators should wear Togas when attending it.

[quote=ā€œFitzy, post: 841121, member: 236ā€]OK, I just realised Iā€™m dealing with the sophisticated Rocko / Carryharry axis, so Iā€™ll try to speak slowly.

Weā€™re talking about abolishing the Seanad. I used the Australia Senate as an example of how an upper house works well. Your need to appear more republican than anyone immediately leads you to start banging on about the queen of england, nothing to do with this subject. It is a ridiculous system, it is a fucking joke that the head of state of an entirely separate country is the head of state here. But the senate works well, that was all I was saying before you got all hysterical and donned your balaclava. Their ill acquired land? What, like America? What the fuck has that got to do with anything? I wouldnā€™t be so sure Australia doesnā€™t want to change.

I sincerely hope there is a No vote in this referendum, but it must be followed by reform.

Please ensure that all of you exercise your democratic right to vote.[/quote]
You introduced Australia as a comparison, I didnā€™t. Itā€™s not my fault itā€™s not a very apt or worthy comparison. You seem to be scrambling to distance yourself from the Australian system now, it was only yesterday you said it was a beacon of democracy. To be clear: I have no problem with you changing your mind, just donā€™t blame me for introducing the ridiculous comparison of Australia in the first place.

Anyway, moving past that, the senate in Austrlia is supporting a completely different system of commonwealth states and territories. Ignoring the whole homage to the queen aspect of Australian politics, itā€™s a very different political structure. America has a President, so has Ireland. Theyā€™re not even remotely similar. The Australian senate isnā€™t remotely close to the function of the Seanad in Ireland. A federal system changes government entirely. The need for balance among the states in Australia gives rise to a type of gerrymandering where every state gets an equal say, no matter the size of the population. Thatā€™s a peculiar rule that may or may not work - it certainly has its critics - but it is there for federal reasons. Ireland has no such reason to impose state balance via a senate. Itā€™s irrelevant here.

At the risk of ruining your joke, I donā€™t have a Seanad vote - but I believe the likes of @Bandage[/USER], @[USER=1]Rocko[/USER] and @[USER=6]briantinnion do.

Ditzy is taking some whupping here

Abolish it so.

Faux Americans shouldnā€™t be allowed to vote in Irish elections

@Fitzy, your vote has been cast pal.

+1. But real American Irish like me must have a vote. I am a real American. I fight for the rights of every man.

Real Americans donā€™t need J1 visas to work in their own country, pal.

No vote into 3/1 - thereā€™s hope yet. It hit 12/1 at one point today I believe.

Did they bother with an exit poll for this?

My mother cut away from watching Argo to watch the news on RTE 2 at 11.10 last night to find an answer to this question. We concluded that they didnā€™t. It should be pointed out that she didnā€™t even bother to vote herself yesterday. Sheā€™s a strange woman at times.

It seems a lot of people had trouble understanding the ballot. And some think itā€™s unfair that these people donā€™t have a vote for the Seanad.

Looks like No in Dublin and Cork city, 50/50 slightly Yes in rural from early indications. No looks favourite now.

Mary Lou is calling it a No. Would be some defeat for the government parties and a real blow for Endaā€™s strategy of hiding from debates.

Not exactly a stellar day for Mary Lou either.