The things you buy in Aldi and Lidl thread. (Think before you buy - reduce waste)

Is that what nitrates do?

The cheapness of food is a bit fucking odd.

I’d imagine it wouldn’t be possible to transport apples from ballycross to wexford for 6c each let alone grow them pick them and pack them.

Yup, Farmers are getting hammered, the margins are gone to complete shit.

And this isn’t the usual whine from Farmers, its a fact.

I’d say though in that case, they arent making their money off the actual product, more their name and getting people down to the farm. Went down there a couple of weeks back and the place was absolutely mobbed. Handy money that would cover their shit returns on a few apples sold in town.

Yeah, so they tell me.

Assume Lidl and the others are taking a loss on some products

There are fresh pizzas in Aldi are something else,. Agreed about the veg in both stores, tends to go off very quickly.

I’d say you’d be assuming wrong there. The special offers are funded by the suppliers. Be they farmers or manufacturers.

1 Like

That would be verging on predatory pricing wouldn’t it? I’d say the suppliers must be taking the hit.

Of course they are.

:sweat_smile:

Of course they are. Every Supermarket has so called “loss leader” Traditionally it would be alcohol. The whole fruit and veg thing started a couple of years ago when either Lidl or Aldi dropped the price coming into Christmas week. They did it so quickly that their competitors barely had time to follow suit. In that situation the supplier (farmer) did not take the hit. The reason there was protests was because it squeezed the small fruit and veg shop plus country markets were decimated.
The follow on started after Christmas and then renegotiations started with the suppliers at which stage they took the hit. The other lads then followed suit as would be expected.
One of the main reasons that suppliers are more willing to do business with the likes of Lidl and Aldi is that while they may screw a supplier on price, they will commit to certain quantities and you will be guaranteed payment of time.
Some of the other multiples will flip flop on quantity, inevitably order to much and then go back to the supplier and seek credit. Or alternatively order too little and then go back looking for more when the supplier may not have the capacity to produce.

In terms of promotions. Yes the supplier does take the hit. But the Supermarket maintains the same margin on the product. That is why some Supermarkets will over order a leading/popular brand when it goes on say half price. They are buying at promotional price and can put back up the price after the promotion cycle is over (normally three weeks) . Thus doubling their margin. Alaternatively an overstock situation will give the option of extending the promotion to one cycle.

Lidl and Aldi tend to order set amounts for promotions and when they’re gone, they’re gone. That’s why you tend to see more offsales in these stores.

4 Likes

Decided to try the Spicy version of this sauce the other day. have to agree much better than the Dolmio Shite you can get.

Bleedin’ compost heaps laddy bucks.

1 Like

Hunga bunga in the junga

they can’t keep the waygu burgers on the shelves in Aldi here, they are absolutely unreal, unbelievable

What do you reckon @Fagan_ODowd ?

Argos do a nice tidy Samsung one that’s similar to that for the same money, my youngest one Shiela got one from Santa :santa:t2:.

@Brimmer_Bradley is right. That’s too expensive for the make of it. If you’re prepared to spend that kind of money, you’re better off heading into a electronic store.

Thats zlots bud. About 55 euro.