The Tom Humphries Appreciation Thread

Feel free to post anything you’d like to say about one of Irelands greatest journalists on this thread. We might put a Christmas card together with some of the best posts and sent it into the editor of the Irish Times. It might get Tom a payrise or a promotion.

a good journalist & a good man

No NCC thats not how this works. Your supposed to get wound up and annoyed and then we laugh at you as usual. Come on man, stick with the script.

sorry

he is a fat english fuck;)

[quote=“north county corncrake”]sorry

he is a fat english fuck;)[/quote]

Stop getting so worked up NCC. He’s a good journalist who tells it like it is.

I sat beside Tom on a plane once. He was a gentleman.

I don’t like him. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Can someone explain the “bridie” reference in today’s licking-the-balls-off-Keane piece? No? An in-joke of some description. Fuck off Tom.

[quote=“Sledgehammer”]I don’t like him. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Can someone explain the “bridie” reference in today’s licking-the-balls-off-Keane piece? No? An in-joke of some description. Fuck off Tom.[/quote]

That was a really rubbish piece. At least have the balls to give your opinion instead of prefacing everything with his ‘I’m just a man in a bath, I’m nothing compared to Roy Keane’ bolloxology.

A self indulgent, self serving hypocrite who has a rare gift for writing.

He’s not that good a writer. He’s been living off the Michelle Smith stuff for years. A lot of the articles are just copied from American sportswriters. Don’t be fooled by the Humphries “poor ol me, just a humble hack” line. He has an ego the size of his stomach. Plus the insecurities and hissy fits. He sees himself as a failed writer because the sports stuff is only sports stuff. His recent piece for Amnesty made sure to mention winning some literary prize. The taking the piss out of himself act is only an act. There was a very funny incident a couple of years ago in the Times. Another journalist was sent to cover an All Ireland quarter final. He was to write the lead for p 1 of the Mon sports supplement. He got a call from his editor Mon morning asking if he’d seen the paper yet. He wondered why until he bought a copy. It turned out that Humphries couldn’t bear anyone else getting the front page and had gone in on to Hill 16 (not the pressbox of course) and written a report. He sent it in and it was published instead of the one that had been ordered. Basically Humphries is a big child, and very jealous of anyone else with talent. No amount of success will change this. There are revealing stories about his relationship with Paul Kimmage in the Lap Top W**king book. There is a jeer about a colleague’s hair loss. Humphries couldn’t be called a classy gent, but the childishness is a big help in pushing himself forward.

great stuff salmo-welcome to the forum

Ta. Humphries has his moments but he’s a good rather than a great writer ha ha ha. He’s also very sloppy. His match report on the recent Leinster club final put Henry Shefflin playing centreforward when he was wingforward. He also gave Shefflin three points from play when every other report I saw gave him two. I’m told two is correct although I wasn’t at the game myself.

Interesting stuff Salmo

NCC- I see you have a comrade in your crusade against Humphs- fortuitous that he enlisted at the right time.

WBY

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]Interesting stuff Salmo

NCC- I see you have a comrade in your crusade against Humphs- fortuitous that he enlisted at the right time.

WBY[/quote]

huh?
i wish it was someone i knew as there seems to be loads of newbies joining this week & it would be good to get an allie but i fear if it is someone joining up again then its a double bluff - unless its just a newbie that hates humphs

Another thing I’ve noticed about Humphries is his tendency to have the odd go at cranks on internet forums as if the opinions of weirdos like us are less valid because we didn’t do a 2 or 3 year journalism degree. People like Flano have forgotten more about sport than some cunts who cover it professionally will ever know.

i don’t like him. he’s a fat cunt.

Yeah it’s an odd one the hatred journalists seem to have for the internet cranks. The opinion of the ‘real fans’ is always looked for and respected. Whereas if any of these ‘real fans’ can use a computer they suddenly become bitter psychos. Humphs isn’t alone among journos in this strange hypocrisy. They’re all at it.
Humphries used to be very good, had a funny turn of phrase and almost seemed to perfectly reflect my opinions on and love for most sports. ie huge fan of gaa and soccer, not so keen on golf and rugby. Similar opinion also on things like opening up Croke Park etc. I heard stories from journalist buddies of mine that he is hugely respected as a writer. Apparently he can just rattle off a big monday morning opinion piece off the top of his head on the way home from doing a match report whereas the likes of Vincent Hogan etc would have it all written up at home on the Saturday and would just stick a top and tail on it.
In recent years I reckon he’s gone seriously downhill and has definitely gone very self indulgent.
I’d say he’s bored of the whole thing.

macparty wanted this as an appreciation thread:p

i enjoyed whatever books of his iv read and i don’t mind humphries raving about dublin underage camogie in a national daily or the dubs in the summer or even his roy keane bullshit, but the fucker lost my respect when he began kissing the cork hurlers holes recently.
no doubt in my mind he will do a biog of one of those cork cunts very soon, there is no other reason for him being so far up sean og and co’s rectum.

why is the man so fucking big, didn’t he hurl in his adult life, is it glandular or does he have the pat ‘burgerking’ dolan syndrome?

It’s definitely a weird one. It seems they believe we should read their work and be enthralled by it because they’re journalists. But we shouldn’t dare offer our own opinions online because we’re not. I suppose it’s fair enough - Roy Curtis would definitely be sharper when it comes to analysis of sport than any of us.