The Tony Browne Appreciation Thread

Playing…, anyway, last years was due to doping so it doesn’t count.

Didn’t Tony enroll in Carlow IT a few years ago and play Fitz for them?

A fine hurler alright, will be remembered as one of the greats of Waterford hurling

Singing in

@caoimhaoin won’t be impressed but Tony Browne was saying on the radio earlier that in order to keep himself in top shape into his late 30s he used to run 5-8km before going into senior hurling training in the evening. :eek:

Heard him tonight , class act

One of a kind.

Agreed

What line of business is he in? I think he said he was self employed? You’d want nice working hours to be able to do what he did, and that’s not trying to knock him or anything.

Tony was never too bothered about material matters. Would gave been happy to be on the scratcher and live with his mother as long as he had time for the hurling and the fly fishing. In recent times he had the franchise on a 3 phone shop in Dungarvan. I would imagine he will be a TD yet. His grand father Fad Brown was a well respected TD and publican.

He’s would appear to be the type of chap who’ll define his life by what he’s happy doing . If I was a Waterford GAA official if be asking if he’d take a county coaching role ( under age development )

I’m actually very impressed.

What you must remember is some people are actually just freaks if nature.

Most of my thinking is based around regular people. These people often think that by replicating what a freak does they can become said freak.

GSP fired his S&C for apparently a few reasons, a lot of what were contradictory. But basically his S&C had always talked down his influence on GSP, he simply said he tweaked and regulated a few things but there was little weakness there, he had everything and was genetically gifted and training hard and very technically from age 5/6. GSP oftens says that S&C is a load of bollix, well in his case he’s partially right, cos I the gifts he had an work he put in.
Ironically the major fall out was when the S&C coach refused to get involved in a DVD GSP was doing on S&C which was sending the wrong message. Of course it was GSP making money and the coach sticking to his principals. Basically the S&C coach is right though, people like GSP and TB are rare.

With Browne he was physically gifted, clearly, and had also worked on his skills for a very very long time. As well as that though TB had one great skill many ignore, the ability to switch off. I believe he is into fishing, hardly anything more perfect for a top level athlete, especially a GAA player who is neither here not there in terms of professionalism. He didn’t do much media and was clearly someone who could mentally remove himself from hurling. That balance prolongs your career, mental fatigue is a lot more damaging than physical. Physical can be sorted in 24 hours or a week or having a holiday. Cumulative Mental fatigue can take a lot longer, and I would say is harder for too level modern GAA players than almost any other sporting person or sport I have come across.
The physical obviously came easy to TB, much like Tom Kenny, so it meant he could concentrate on the mental and technical side. A great player. True great, all time great even.

Fairly typical Waterford man then

Waterford people have a higher disposable income than Kilkenny people, pal. Suck on that.

does ken McGrath still play with mount sion?

Sadly no. Ken underwent open heart surgery last week, scumpot, and we are all praying for a speedy recovery. Ken has been in poor health since he retired. The brother, Eoin still plays and Tony will be playing wing forward this weekend.

Ah no sad to hear that. After Ciaran Carey possibly my favourite all time player. Like Carey pure force of nature who could just make up his mind to do something on the pitch and nothing would stop him.

no way !..sad to hear that…he’d only be about 36 at the most…hope he makes a full recovery …

Heard he wasn’t well recently but didn’t realise it was something ongoing since he retired. I think he had only recently started in a new job as well. Hope he gets well soon, Ken would be a sound aul skin

Ken was a player who put his heart and soul into every game he played for Waterford (no pun intended). A fantastic role model for kids in that respect.

I felt his decision making often let him down though and he wasted more possession than he should have.

[QUOTE=“Fran, post: 937191, member: 110”]Ken was a player who put his heart and soul into every game he played for Waterford (no pun intended). A fantastic role model for kids in that respect.

I felt his decision making often let him down though and he wasted more possession than he should have.[/QUOTE]
Go fuck yourself Fran.