The waxing lyrical about the issues with the Mayo Footballing Psyche Thread

I hate to say this on TFK, but we’re gonna need more information

2 Likes

We need our Western Correspondents on this

A 96-week ban was handed out to the adult and Castlebar were awarded the victory, however, upon appeal, the ban was reduced to two games, while Westport were reinstated into the competition.

That’s some swing

@Blake what’s the scoop

7 Likes

A little nugget from that match report shows Tom Byrne in the 11 jersey for Kiltimagh.
Going full @Cheasty on it this is the same Big Tom who came on to the Mayo minors in the Minor final of 1978 with 10 to go, time and tide ebbing away and a deficit of 6 points. They got a great goal to give them hope before Byrne punched a high lobbing ball to the net prior to tearing through and burying a blockbuster. The Dubs were shell shocked and Mayo prevailed by 4.

Tom subsequently had a few runs with the seniors but never repeated the feat and drifted away from the scene by the time he was 23/4.

1 Like

He has the look nailed down anyway

1 Like

Not enough tats

Nah, the great Dr David Hickey called this bunch out a long time ago

1 Like

Met Tom before Christmas. In great form. Still a giant of a man with hands like shovels. A sound man

1 Like

Pierce Higgins, brother of Keith passed away this morning. He was a good hurler. I think he had MND. There was a sad article about him last year in some paper. RIP.

20 Likes
1 Like

RIP

A terribly sad article and a terrible way to go.
"There’s a picture at home of us and the little girleens before we went into the match and the two of us look half-dead. I didn’t notice it until I looked at that picture on the wall years later. I’d say we were just about breathing.”
This line is very hard to read.

3 Likes

RIP

Very tough read that article

RIP. Horrible horrible way to pass away.

RIP to that man.

My wife’s cousin is from a neighbouring town in Mayo and he also has it. His son was actually born this morning.

2 Likes