The Weather Thread

Easy tiger. It’s better for all concerned if @Fagan_ODowd is looking out the window rather than in the window.

8 Likes

bit of a change in it

Back home in Dublin. It’s pissing.

Ohio?

First day of spring out there lads in north mid mid west limerick.

1 Like

Looking like a very severe frost covering the country early next week.

Yeah I going to hold off sowing the early season spuds.

Paddies day was always the day to set spuds

1 Like

How would potatoes fare in a polytunnel during the spring/summer? Would it be too hot for them?

Aren’t you meant to remove the poly tunnel once the weather warms up?

This is a biggish permanent structure at my auld fellas place, not one of those small portable ones or the wrap that you put down on the ground.

I’m going to do garden this year for the first time. Carrots, spuds and cabbage.

3 Likes

buy slug pellets

1 Like

Slugs seem to appear out of nowhere to eat cabbage.

2 Likes

And caterpillars

You’d want nice clean soil for the carrots. No stones or else they will split.

I’ve a grand spot picked out since last year. I fucked a load of dung around it at Christmas to improve fertility

1 Like

I grow carrots every year in an old fishery box, you know the big plastic ones ?
A bit of topsoil & compost and sow the seeds like you would sow grass seed.
As they grow I thin them out and it supplies me fresh carrots all year. They won’t get big and strong until the very last ones are left.
Provides a nice supply of baby carrots all summer.

2 Likes

fresh baby carrots are the business.

I had hoped the have the back garden cleared and a few bits planted for this year but I’m unlikely to have it done in time.

Make up a small raised bed and sow the carrots like above. One length of 6” x 1” will make a grand bed. Fill it with your best topsoil and a handy bit of compost.
Sprinkle the seeds and you’re done with it for the summer.