The Wire

I often think some of the lads on here are only pretending to pretend.

Oh indeed, just got more fierce

1 Like

Yeah. That’s why the Guardian is credited at the bottom of the article.

1 Like

GOAT

The Wire is miles ahead of the sopranoes.

7 Likes

The scene where the fbi profile mcnulty’s fake serial killer… and describe mcnulty. Gold.

5 Likes

It has insanely good lines. Like the scene where Omar robs the card game - “I don’t know much about cards but I think these 4-5’s beat a full house - Money ain’t got any owners, just spenders - Boy you got me confused with a man who repeats himself”. Don’t think I’ve ever watched a show that could pack so many great lines into one scene and still have the characters feel realistic.

The Sopranos does character & absurdist humour better though. There’s no one in the Wire as funny as Paulie, and no humour as dark as when he suffocates that old lady. I don’t think any episode of the Wire can touch Pine Barrens for hilarity either.

5 Likes

Completely different shows and both fantastic in their own way – I hate conversations comparing them to each other or any show really — I suppose it becomes such a visual, almost shared experience/affinity with the characters, people feel the need to place their favourite over the other. I only lean towards Sopranos for the crackpot characters — The Wire, as the man says, is a novel on tv.

1 Like

the sopranoes was more like a sitcom at times, paulie walnuts ffs, what a ridiculous character, the sopranoes was the wire for slow learners

5 Likes

2 fantastic shows

I went back to it based off this thread.

3rd full watch.

There is something new in it all the time. Very layered

2 Likes

Det. James ‘Jimmy’ McNulty: I got to ask you. If every time Snotboogie would grab the money and run away, why’d you even let him in the game?

Snot Boogie’s Friend: What?

Det. James ‘Jimmy’ McNulty: If Snotboogie always stole the money, why’d you let him play?

Snot Boogie’s Friend: Got to. It’s America, man.

2 Likes

That was a real line directly from some fella, it’s in his book Homicide a year on the killing streets. It’s amazing how many of the killer lines from season 1 especially were direct quotes.

The FBI profile on the serial killer in s5 which actually describes McNulty is fucking priceless

1 Like

Yep

2 Likes

that was a great scene

1 Like

The squirming was unreal.

I have seen that squirm in workshops when I say some things that clearly confront coaches.

And I have been there myself too in other instances. Funny to look back on it

2 Likes

Amazing series, daddy of them all

1 Like

There are new elements every time

1 Like

https://youtu.be/J4mmateHVfU