The Wire

[quote=“Phil Leotardo”]Dan,

Just had a quick look at his wikipedia page and no mention of a new book?[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Corner

Sorry Phil

its not a new book, it was published in 97. I just finsihed reading the Homicide book, see above, and inside back cover it has an ad for the book which it says is being released in April 09. It must be a re release, the book I read was an updated version too.

going to buy it on amazon right now in fact

seems there was a tv series of this book as well called the corner, won 3 emmys? anyone see this?

GENERATION KILL
'It’s horrible, but at the time you don’t feel nothing," Rudy Reyes tells me. It feels strange to be discussing killing another human being so casually, stranger still to be doing so in a smart London hotel. "At the time you are engaging and security means that you must use extreme violence. You can never assume security, you can only establish it, so we establish it by killing all threats.

“I had to kill up very close, as close as you and I are right now, seeing their fear and horror in their eyes, knowing that’s the last thing they’re going to see.” How many people has Reyes killed, I wonder? “You know, a lot,” he says, with just a tinge of regret.

Reyes, a likable and extremely buff Texan of Mexican extraction, plays Sgt Rodolfo “Rudy” Reyes - himself - in Generation Kill, an extraordinary TV mini-series from HBO which will be broadcast in Britain (on FX) next week. Based on the book by Rolling Stone reporter Evan Wright, who spent the beginning of the current Iraq conflict embedded with a unit of marines, it takes the viewer along for the invasion, by Humvee. The programme is up close and personal - very close and very personal - with the marines of 1st Reconnaissance Battalion, or 1st Recon, one of whom is Reyes.

The team behind Generation Kill is David Simon and Ed Burns, creators of The Wire, the Baltimore cop show that is rarely mentioned without the word “gritty” and has caused a critical swoonathon, sometimes even called the best television ever. Burns - Vietnam veteran, teacher, policeman turned writer of the best television ever - is with me too, to talk about the new project. As so much of Generation Kill is about the taking of human life, I wonder if he too has killed, in Vietnam, perhaps.

“I did.”

Hell, I’m the only person around here who hasn’t killed someone. And did the experience affect Burns? “Erm … killing is almost fair. It’s what warfare actually should be, in the sense that they’re shooting at you, you’re shooting at them. Where it breaks down, and becomes a different type of thing is when the enemy is a bomb, or an IED [an improvised explosive device, often used as roadside bombs], or a mine, and you’re stepping on it, or it’s blowing you up, and you can’t retaliate. When that starts to happen then the anger in the unit starts to build, and God help anybody who steps in front of that anger.”

Most of the killing you see in Generation Kill - and you see a lot - is the first kind, the almost fair sort, because this is about the first 21 days of the war, the invasion in 2003, not the years of mess that have followed. That’s not to say there isn’t anger about the place, but it sometimes has to be self-generated, at least to start with. One of the characters, Cpl Josh Ray Person, puts it nicely: “The marine corps is like America’s little pit bull. They beat us, starve us, and once in a while they let us out to attack somebody.”

Person, played by James Ransone (the equally out-of-control Ziggy in series two of The Wire), a terrifying little nut who is permanently off his head on some horrible stimulant drink called Ripped Fuel, has all the best lines. As the Humvees rumble north over the border from Kuwait, Person, charged up to the eyeballs, spews out his theories about gays, South Park and why Saddam Hussein’s ill-thought-through “pussy policy” is the real reason for the conflict. And he has a complaint: “How come we can’t invade a cool country with, like, chicks in bikinis?”

This is what Generation Kill is really, a bunch of guys doing their jobs, albeit in an extraordinary workplace. That and the family-like bond they form. Reyes talks about this, and the one fear he had - letting down his team. “They count on me because I come from a background with no stability and no family, and this is the best family I ever had and I wouldn’t do anything to endanger them.”

His background, he says, is typical of the men he went to war with. Dad left, mum shacked up with someone else, there were more kids, and Reyes was more or less forgotten. So he found a new family with the marines. When he left the corps a couple of years ago, he got depressed. Is that common? “Very common, bro, very, very common. It’s a natural part of mourning. It’s mourning the loss of your unit, and your team, and your family, and your identity. Mourning the loss of yourself. I was hurting, bro. I’d never had a family before. I’d never had what I had in the marine corps.”

This show came along at the right time for Reyes. He was originally hired - along with a couple of the other guys who were there with him - to train the actors, make sure they got everything right, that it was all authentic. Then he got a part, playing himself, reliving it all.

There are an awful lot of characters in Generation Kill, and to begin with I had no idea who was who, or what was going on. This is something people who have watched The Wire may identify with. “Yes, there are quite a few characters,” says Burns. “I don’t see that as a problem. HBO were worried about it - how are they going to figure out who is who, stuff like that. But that comes with just sitting up and watching the show. If you want a show that you sprawl back in the couch and sort of let wash over you then this is probably not the show.”

Sit-up TV, that’s what Burns (and David Simon) do. “You want the person leaning in to the punch so it requires them to try to figure something out,” he says.

It may appear arrogant, to make television with such a vast cast of characters that unfolds so randomly, chaotically even, with no narrative signposts, no help for the viewer and a lot of jargon and military acronyms. It’s almost as if they’re sticking a finger up at the viewer, saying, “Hey, this isn’t about you, or entertainment, it’s for the people it’s about - the marines - and it’s about being authentic.” The same could also be said about The Wire, whose viewing figures didn’t live up to the glowing reviews. But, as with The Wire, a bit of effort pays massive dividends.

I had to do more than sit up, even more than lean in to the punch: I actually needed to watch episode one of Generation Kill twice, and only in the second sitting did I really start to get a grip of who was who and what was going on (even, and most proudly, figuring out that “oscar mike” means on the move). By then I was snared, involved, and by the second episode it was clear that this was very good television, an astounding portrait of modern warfare, and of an extreme job.

Aficionados of The Wire will see many parallels. It’s about race, and class, and the workplace (though the street corner has been traded for the inside of a Humvee). It’s about the disconnect between levels of command and is much more sympathetic to the worker than to higher levels of management, in this case the officers and their often ludicrous decisions. It isn’t sanitised, or cliched. Neither is it heroic (as, say Steven Spielberg’s second world war epic Band of Brothers is, though it will inevitably draw comparisons). Most of all it is about people - a bunch of guys. At times you admire them, other times they appal you. Often they’re very, very funny.

It amuses and shocks, confuses and thrills. But it doesn’t preach. “I think it’s something you can look at and find what you want to see,” says Burns. “So if you are very pro-war, and you see the military as incapable of doing wrong, and the heroics of these guys, then it’s very easy to see who they are. If you are more conflicted, there is an opportunity [to see] that conflict - you know, this is not what we signed up for. So I think it serves both sides, because neither side is honest with themselves … I mean, I don’t give a fuck to tell you the truth. I know where I stand on it.” Burns is as anti the war as he is admiring of the men who went to fight it.

I wonder if it will appeal only to men, as it is entirely about men. But he talks about the emergence of a feminine side in combat. “Because of the fear and the fact that you’re walking with the possibility of injury and death, the feminine side comes out. So it takes these professional robots almost and turns them into human beings. So one man is caring for another man’s foot and stuff like that, you know, they help each other, and that’s the complexity of human nature.”

And what about that authenticity? It looks more real than anything I’ve seen. But what do I know? I’ve never even killed anyone. Reyes, who dismisses almost every other portrayal of war on screen, big or small, as cartoonish, can help out here. “My brother, of course I’m a little bit biased, but it’s better than almost anything that’s been done before, because of the honesty and integrity of it. No good guy, no bad guys: ambiguity. Frank and sometimes vile dialogue, because this is what you gotta do when you’re in the freakin’ battlefield, and you are in the muck and the mire, the gore, the horror, the hatred. You are using hatred energy against each other, because it summons this power, and you have to summon it or maybe you don’t make it”.

Generation Kill is starting on Sunday 25th on FX. Not sure of the time though.

Just finished season 4! Top class entertainment… who’s good and who’s bad at this stage is beyond me. Portrays perfectly that given a certain enviroment we are capable of both extreme acts of good and bad… roll on season 5!

One episode left in Series 3 here. Its fair addictive stuff. Every episode I watch though it is a bit disapointing to know Im one closer to the finish of it.

Series 2 was my favourite so far, loved the docks/union storyline.

Aint no thing

I finished Generation Kill there last week. Very good.
Gritty and what feels like perfectly realistic.

Funny in parts and very dark and sad in others.

[quote=“cluaindiuic”]I finished Generation Kill there last week. Very good.
Gritty and what feels like perfectly realistic.

Funny in parts and very dark and sad in others.[/quote]

finished the book or watching the series?

Worth a watch so ya?

Me no read good have.

So watched, yeah…

Been trying to read Watchmen for the last 6 months so I’d have it read before the film comes out. Barely a quarter of the way through.

Is season four where Marlo comes on the scene, the school focused one, the mayoral race one or all three? Watched four seasons last summer and waiting on the right time to watch the fifth. What a show! No good guys, no bad guys, no right, no wrong. Ranks alongside the sopranos as the greatest there’s ever been. I wouldn’t like to pick the winner from those two

Season 3 is where Marlo and his crew pop up for the first time, but their is no real theme to it, its more about killing off loose ends and setting up the new characters for the folowing series. Its probably the weakest series imo.

I really don’t agree with that, although I get your point. There is no obvious central focus to it, but the Stringer/Avon conflict is almost enough to power the series by itself. As well as that, Hamsterdam and the emergence of Carcetti are great stories in there own right. For me the second season would be my least favourite, even thought the central themes are brilliant I think you get less bang for your buck with the episodes on an individual basis. I guess though that being the weakest of the wire series is somewhat akin to banging the ugliest of the playboy bunnys though. Still much fucking better than anything else you could be doing.

Omar Little, what a character… I’m on tender hooks waiting to see how this story plays out! have a feeling it ends bad for him.

careful with the spoilers CM!

Ah i wouldnt do it to you… Season 5 has started well is all.

For those with a good internet connection you can watch The Wire online here. I didn’t start yet myself I’m just finishing The Shield season7 online.

http://tvshack.net/tv/The_Wire/

Saw it in HMW last weekend. Looking forward to giving it a viewing.

Cheaper to buy on Amazon though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Generation-Kill-Complete-HBO-DVD/dp/B001IWELH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1236939216&sr=8-1

Just heard Dominic West (McNulty) interviewed on Newstalk. Good interview but the presenter gave away a good few of the major storylines. Iv watched up to episode 10 in Series 4 and he managed to ruin three stories for me even!

Its starting on BBC shortly, the entire series. West made the point that TG4 was the first station in Europe to show it and was well ahead of the rest. ALso said he gets recognised here for it more than anywhere else.

Bunk is the godfather of his child as well

He felt the show that Bunk was making with David Simon now will be better than The Wire

1 Like

[quote=“dancarter”]

He felt the show that Bunk was making with David Simon now will be better than The Wire[/quote]

Looks decent alright

Treme is an American television series in development with the HBO network. It was created by David Simon and Eric Overmyer. The project is about musicians in New Orleans and is set in (and named after) Treme, a New Orleans neighborhood that is home to many of the city’s musicians. The series is expected to begin airing in 2010.

[quote=“dancarter”]Just heard Dominic West (McNulty) interviewed on Newstalk. Good interview but the presenter gave away a good few of the major storylines. Iv watched up to episode 10 in Series 4 and he managed to ruin three stories for me even!

[/quote]

Fucking eejit. That shit ain’t right.

I’m on Season 4 too. It’s great, obviously, but I do find myself pining for the old days of the couch or the port, Stringer and Avon.

[quote=“Phil Leotardo”]Looks decent alright

Treme is an American television series in development with the HBO network. It was created by David Simon and Eric Overmyer. The project is about musicians in New Orleans and is set in (and named after) Treme, a New Orleans neighborhood that is home to many of the city’s musicians. The series is expected to begin airing in 2010.[/quote]

Serious potential in a story about New Orleans.
Looking forward to it already!