The Wire

Generation Kill was on FX over the last few weeks, I’ve Sky+'d them all and watched the first episode last week, looks good, again definitely won’t be one for the casual viewer. One thing that is really annoying me in already though is that Ziggy from the Wire season 2 is in it and he plays a really annoying character again, the guy must be a twat in real life too or something.

He’s not half as fantastically annoying as Ziggy in this. In fact I found his character grew on me over time.

Bought the complete boxset of The Wire. Hope it’s as good as every one says.

Dont worry it is, my only complaint about it is Im nearly finished watching it and there is no more to come.

I worry about over hyping stuff.

Bear in mind two things:

1. Takes a few episodes to really get into it, starts off at a slow enough pace.
  2. Each episode is an hour long which takes some getting used to as well(Especially when compared with comedy shows that last only 25ish mins)

[quote=“cluaindiuic”]I worry about over hyping stuff.

Bear in mind two things:

1. Takes a few episodes to really get into it, starts off at a slow enough pace.
  2. Each episode is an hour long which takes some getting used to as well(Especially when compared with comedy shows that last only 25ish mins)[/quote]

Ya it is a slow burner. I was lucky I had read the book Homicide before it so was up to speed with the slang etc.

A tip, there is excellent detailed episode guides on wikipedia, I read all of these after watching each episode, picked up plenty of nuances and things I had missed first watch

Anyone who’s interested, The Wire is starting on BBC2 tomorrow night. They are showing 5 episodes Mon-Fri this week. Good way to show it, taking advantage of the Sky + generation I suppose. Assume it will also be on the BBC i player as well.

Any students with exams coming up, steer clear Id say, its on at around half eleven every night. You don’t want to get addicted to anything new at this point in time!!!

Finally got the boxset-watched a few episodes.
What’s the story with the Lesbian cop wan? She’s the worst actress ever-does she get better?

[quote=“Pikeman”]Finally got the boxset-watched a few episodes.
What’s the story with the Lesbian cop wan? She’s the worst actress ever-does she get better?[/quote]

Not one of my favourite characters but never considered her a poor actor myself.

Started watching again on BBC on Monday night, Stringer and Bubbles f**king are magnificent characters.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Finally got the boxset-watched a few episodes.
What’s the story with the Lesbian cop wan? She’s the worst actress ever-does she get better?[/quote]

I think it’s just her character, you’ll get used to her. There’s a character called snoop coming a bit further down the line that is much stranger. They deliberately cast a lot of low key actors and even a lot of non-actors to make it look more authentic. Bubbles is one of the best examples. Walon, the character that runs the heroin recovery group is played by american country legend Steve Earle who was himself addicted to heroin. Gives the show a completely different feel, grimier than slick shows like the Sopranos and better for it.

Snoop was a real life drug dealer who had done time. When she first came on the scene I genuinely wasn’t sure if it was a bloke or a bird. Alot of the extras in it are genuine corner boys who happen to be hanging around when they were filming.

A friend of mine is a teacher in Baltimore and she was telling me that they love Snoop over there. You see a lot of people wearing Snoop t-shirts over there. I tried to get one when I was over there but could not find one. I wanted an Omar one. All in the game yo.

Was havin a look on ebay earlier. Clay Davis one is class.

http://dvd-video.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/TV-Memorabilia__the-wire_W0QQProductZClothingQQ_catrefZ1QQ_dmptZUKQ5fDVDQ5fFilmQ5fTVQ5fTVQ5fMemorabiliaQ5fLEQQ_flnZ1QQ_sacatZ1424QQ_ssovZ1QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em282

Finished watching the first season. Some show alright. And it does take about 3 or 4 episodes to get into it. And the lesbian cop got better at the oul actin too.
McNulty is class. Was racking my brains wondering where I’d seen Avon Barksddale but he was in Remember the Titans, one of the lead actors.
Looking forward to the rest.

Watching this for the last few nights on BBC2. Just getting into it and don’t know what season it is but it is class.

Myself and the good lady got the 5 season box set there recently having heard good things about it. Currently working our way through it. Absolutely superb stuff. On season 4 at the moment and it just keeps getting better. Excellent characters and disgustingly lifelike.

Going for a gym and swim now but we’ll be watching it later.

Finished the lot last week. Didn’t watch anything of it for a week and a half before watching the last 3 episodes as I couldn’t bring myself to finish it.

I do worry about over-hyping it to people but the fact is that once people give it a few episodes to get into it they are never disappointed.

I’m on the 3rd episode of Season 4. Annoying that I’m coming near the end. First 2 seasons were my favourite of the 3 I’ve watched so far.
Reading up loads on the Wire too. Most complaints are about Dominic West/McNulty and his apparently bad american accent.
The actor that plays Omar actually discovered Snoop in a club in Baltimore. He heard her life story and he told the producers that they had to get a role for her in the show.

Finished all of Generation Kill there yesterday. Definately worth a watch as it is an interesting and apparently very real take of life in the US Marines while in Iraq.

The extras on the box-set are good also as you get a feel of the effort that went into the making the show. Some real marines actually act in it and there is an interview where a heap of marines who claim the show does a great job capturing the true reality of the situation they found themselves in.

Alot of US product placement in the 1st episode but thankfully that dies away. In fairness it must have being an expensive show to produce.

Walon is Steve Earle??? Jesus, didn’t know that.

Will probably watch the last episode of series one tonight, and then launch myself into the second series after the Chelsea game tomorrow night. That yoke on wikipedia with the episode guide looks good.

Stringer is pretty much one of the best ever characters on television.