The Wire

I change my mind from time to time on which is my favourite, Rescue Me or The Wire, watched both twice. Can’t believe Fox produced something like Rescue Me, Leary is top notch. It gets very dark again i think pretty soon into the last series.

Mad Men is good but I dunno how it mentions in the same breath as the Wire or the Sporanos?

Agree completely. It is a good show but is not a patch on either of those two. You’d wouldn’t find a lot of people disagreeing with that though.

I think the wire and the sopranos aren’t that comparable myself. The sopranos is more intricate and more sophisticated in many ways, and imho is probably the best acted and directed tv show of all time. The wire though is by far and away the greatest examination of modern industrial society ever seen on screen, and as such has vastly greater cultural significance than arguably any show ever made. The sopranos is incomparably, technically brilliant. The Pine Barrens episode is probably the best hour of television I’ve ever seen and Tony Soprano is without question the best drawn tv character of all time. I doubt anything comes even remotely close to him. You could make extremely strong cases for either. They are both magnificent.

Watched the last episode of The Wire last night. An excellent show with subtitles needed for most episodes times.

Deserves another watch at some stage.

Shows how the world really spins as opposed to how we think it should spin.

Has anyone read The Corner? I have it here but it’s dauntingly large. I did read Homicide: Life on the Streets though and it was brilliant. I’m slightly put off by the fact that The Corner, the TV show had poor enough reviews.

The Corner is basically what started off The Wire right? Same director, same few actors etc

Yup. But it didn’t start off the Wire. Homicide:Life on the Street is from the early 90s and is the basis for the Wire. The book is superb and I recommend any Wire fan to read it, you’ll recognise many of the charcters and stories.

Tried watching Homicide and reading The Corner and liked neither to be honest.

Oh ya, thought it was connected alright. Watched some of the Corner having DL’d it on the basis of The Wire and thought it was shite, but might be ok had one not seen the Wire first.

Has anyone ever seen marlo Stanfield in anything else, ever? He’s the one actor i haven’t seen i think elsewhere.

I recommend reading Homicide.The show isn’t the best in this day and age.

Wasn’t he in Heroes a few years ago for a season? Don’t watch it myself but read it before he was in it.

Wouldn’t know , saw very little of it, the way my friends used to go on about it turned me off it forever. Seemed like a childish show to me.

Anyway, he’s a good actor.

I’m going back to the Wire myself for another watch. Took in S01 and S02 a few months ago. Gonna get started on S03 this week as I need something to fill the void before Mad Men comes back. Out of the five series I’d have to say S02 is probably my favorite, really liked the story in that one.

I want to watch the Sopranos again too but it’s a daunting task with twenty four hour long episodes per season, sometimes after a day doing nothing in work and an evening smashing it in the gym it’s just easier to watch something like Love Actually.

[b]McNulty[/b]: I got to ask you. If every time Snotboogie would grab the money and run away, why’d you even let him in the game?
Witness: What?
McNulty: If Snotboogie always stole the money, why’d you let him play?
Witness: You got to, this America, man.

One of the greatest opening scenes to a series ever.
Watched season one again there recently great stuff.

Recently started Mad Men and I’m really enjoying it. Wasn’t sure what I was expecting really but it wasn’t what I thought anyways. The rampant sexual harassment and constant smoking are gas. I’m in between that and 30 Rock at the minute which is completely different obviously but also very enjoyable.

Or send topless pictures of yourself to male friends?

Good shout on Season 2 BT. My favourite series also. Completely different pace but it’s genuinely emotional.

Wasn’t just sending them. I received them also. You feeling left out? Do you want them also?

Eh… no, you sick fuck.

Any change I can get a look please Brian?

If you get whatsapp messenger I’ll send on immediately. Would appreciate any feedback also.

Back on the Wire - was watching my favorite scene on YouTube over lunch there, was the one where Bunk and Jimmy do an entire scene using only the word fuck. Absolutely brilliant.

Another class one was Bunk burning his clothes to get rid of the smell of perfume. Genius.