The Wolfe Tones

In the round, the result, as well as the support of a majority of the people in waging such a war, tend to make all the difference. Otherwise you are saying there is no possible criteria for a just war, which is obviously bullshit.

HIstory is complex and nuanced. The same actions can be either categorically justified, arguably justified or categorically not in others. I myself have serious problems with the notion that the War Of Independence was a fully just war but there was clearly much more of a case for it being more just than the Provos’ 27 year long campaign precisely for the reasons that it had widespread support, had a reasonable chance of success, and was brought to a close much more quickly.

The Allied campaign in World War II was much more brutal than the US campaign in the Iraq War but the former was clearly a just war while later clearly wasn’t.

We’re currently seeing a categorically just war being waged by Ukraine as they attempt to save their country. Ukraine commits the same acts as Russia does, but it is morally justified in doing so because it has been invaded whereas Russia is the unprovoked invader.

You’re talking through your hole and undermining everything you’ve tried to say til now. War and terrorism are not the same.

Yeah what the IRA did in 1919 to 1921 could be considered a war whereas the Provo campaign was much more terrorism. They considered it a war but few others did.

I’m really not sure how you think I’m undermining myself. You’re just making unsupported statements which is isn’t debate.

But ended fairly sharply once public opinion turned and a settlement was put on the table.

Of course then there was the Civil War where democracy was undermined by a minority, but that flamed out quickly.

And few talked of it in positive terms.

The Provos campaign went on for 30 years. Perhaps it was a function of the fact that it was easier to conduct a guerrilla campaign in the latter half of the 20th century, but it did go on and on until the point that they couldn’t recruit many more to the cause and the lads got too old.

Have you ever been to america? Or even to the small towns outosde major cities and spoken to the people out there? Completely different to what you see on tv or from the media

Harmless bit of craic by the looks of it at EP.

3 Likes

I love how you always say the post predictable thing in the world.

I’d say you’re one of those people who finds interview segments in Iowa diners to be insightful.

The truth is much of America, certainly the part that votes Republican, or would think of voting for the likes of that fuckwit Robert Kennedy, is irredeemably stupid.

A country made stupid by embedded racism, endless right wing propaganda, conspiracy theories and internet disinformation.

This part of America, which stretches everywhere in America, is beyond satire.

So you haven’t answered the question? Yet you are completely obsessed with the politics of a country of stupid people. Your view of a nation of 300 million plus people is completely based on an idea that they are all at each others throats in a culture war. While people just want to live their lives and vote based on the policies tjat enable a livelihood

Literally nobody needs to go to America to know what it’s like. America is played out online. Endlessly.

The problem is people in America can’t just live their lives because the right wing culture war is so pervasive and is so focussed on stopping people living their lives, it seeps everywhere. Decent people on school boards are living in fear of their lives because of right wing insanity. The spirit of the Salem witch trials never left America.

The whole world is interested in American politics because there’s a clear and present fascist threat at every election and every election is more important than the last because the fascist threat gets bigger and bigger.

The future of the European continent is literally at stake next time because Russia has a firm ally with probably a 45-50% chance of winning the electoral college and Russia is involved in a very hot war in Europe.

Outstanding.Let the people sing.

2 Likes

Big big big announcement coming from the band…

Uh oh. They’ve done it now. The Big House owners are upset.

2 Likes

Karen doing Karen things

Hope they headline slane next summer

The Ievers amassed their fortune as Revenue collectors for the crown.

2 Likes

You were conflating terrorism and war. You were applying criteria that relate to war to a terrorist campaign. Coming from someone with such an extreme sensitivity to singing up the ra it’s an extremely stupid error to make.

Ask him how Cosby got the house in the first place.

1 Like

As a reward for the enthusiastic slaying of native Irish.

The Beresfords owners of Curraghmore site of All Together Now personally supervised the torture of prisoners after the 1798 rebellion

2 Likes

Precisely. Plenty in the archives about the carry on post 1500s when Laois/Offaly and the O’Moores were routed and murderised by Cosbys countrymen and kin. Thomas is a harmless sort, but all the same…