Things I learned today (Part 1)

Toners and the 51 were owned by the same lad (RIP)

Technically, what does that mean?

This. I think.

1 Like

Richard and Min Mulcahy are buried in Ballymoreen Cemetary on the old Dublin-Cork road between Littleton and the Jockey.

Caught some of it earlier. The 2007 world sports stacking championship is on now.

Please please me is an example of a polyptoton

James Hoffa, son of Jimmy is the current President of the Teamsters union.

1 Like

There are only 5 nursing homes in Dublin without covid 19 apparently.

:anguished::anguished:

Richard went to Mount Sion, but that was never mentioned when I was in the school. I think his father worked in the post office but was from Thurles originally.

Think his parents are buried there as well.

1 Like

A leitrim fella ran a company in Dublin called Swastika Laundries for years. Only ceased trading in the 80s.

1 Like

Mike Tyson was a Catholic.

Supposedly the term “Daylight Robbery” originated in Ireland.

The English put a tax on any windows over a certain amount and size. This resulted in people building cottages with very small windows and bricking up windows in existing dwelling. This meant the cottages were robbed of daylight and the phrase was born.

2 Likes

This may have been posted already but I haven’t followed all the covid threads.

Seemingly the employment company’s that hire the Pilipino and Indian nurses that work predominately in nursing homes, house them all together in the same houses. Probably well packed in. So once one of them got it, they all got it and it spread like wildfire through to the nursing homes.

Very unfortunate set of circumstances. In Limerick I heard they have been dispersed quirkily and unused holiday villages in remote locations are being used to house them now.

Gareth Fitzgerald’s older brother was the architect who designed the original Dublin airport terminal building.

1 Like

An ancestor of Manor stalwart @Massey. That’s where the phrase “Manor are clanin’ up” originated.

2 Likes

Someone was telling me the origins of by hook or by crook recently. Apparently it came from Oliver Cromwells time in Ireland when Waterford in particular was putting up a tough resistance. He was trying to find a way through and hook was supposed to mean by Sea and crook was taken to mean by land.

You’d notice some older buildings still with bricked-up windows because of this. St John’s Square has a few fairly prominent ones which I’m presuming are due to the window tax.

We were always thought that it was Strongbowwho said this during the Norman invasion.

Fuck Cromwell.

I’ll will add that from the school desk where I was thought this I could see both Hook and Crook and, in later life, served as a tour guide where we gave the credit to Strongbow as well.

It was a common theme of Irish invaders to target Waterford Harbour and that was typically prevented by the presence of Duncannon Fort after the Norman invasion.

Oh and if I haven’t said it already…Fuck Cromwell.