Things I learned today (Part 1)

It was in Duncannon this young man died
And in Duncannon his body lies
And you good people that do pass by
Oh shed a tear for the Croppy Boy

1 Like

They played this at the 'aul fella’s funeral last June, it was one of his many, many favourite songs.

It’s been bringing a tear to the eye ever since…this might have been helped by the introduction of Croppy Junior the second and the subsequent lack of sleep however.

5 Likes

It’s a class song. My favourite from the era.

1 Like

Kelly from Killane is a personal favourite and The Boys of Wexford.

I prefer (well I know) the Geneva Barracks (Good men and true) version, my grandmother used to get me to sing that for her as a garsoon

1 Like
1 Like

I had a very interesting exchange with @chocolatemice about this, God rest his esoul.
I sent him pictures of a couple of old cottages on my bit of land asking were they famine era.
As they had two front windows, he said if they were, they were wealthier types, for exactly this reason.
That’s a great think to find out, thanks. Like by hook or by crook cc @Fagan_ODowd

1 Like

Fagan posted that here before. I always thought it was a shepherd phrase

Kelly from Killane is a noble tune. Along with The Minstrel Boy it always brings back memories of the Munster championship when I was a young fella. The pipe band blasting it out, the smell of pipe tobacco all around you and the repellent epidermis of the supporter from Tipperary or Clare.

6 Likes

Remember walking up to Thurles for one of the League finals in 93 and Dad fan-boying over the Pecker Dunne (I think) who was busking.

‘Twas in Duncannon this boy was tried,
In Geneva Barracks, his body lies’

That’s the one I grew up with also.

I was always told the joists in the house I was born in were taken from a long gone old estate house a few miles away. The number of windows in it meant the owner couldn’t afford the tax and so twas knocked, as we were relations some of the bits were sent over to us.

3 Likes

There was also a roof tax at some stage, which resulted in the roofs being removed from a lot of the old estate houses.

1 Like

Roofs were removed from a number of large houses in 40s/50s/60s to avoid paying rates

1 Like

Isnt that why there’s no roof on Dromore?

1 Like

That’s what happened to Dromore Castle in the 50’s. An awful shame.

1 Like

Murtyheartlick is 90

I know someone who will be absolutely seething at a physio giving exercise advice

5 Likes

He must be worth a fortune

1 Like

Fine bit of grass there

1 Like