Things I learned today (Part 1)

There are 2 (two) prisons in Co. Laois.

2 Likes

Is that a swipe at MBB?

No, it was not.

Be grateful you never had to know my good man.

I’d say he works in both of them.
On TFK all day.

Three if you include the town of Portlaoise.

1 Like

From 1683 to 1812, one Jew was permitted to reside in Stettin (modern day Szczecin, Poland) and an additional Jew was allowed to spend a night in the city in case of “urgent business”.

Now that’s a swipe at MBB

Dies the women’s prison also count as a separate prison? Does it make it 3?

The President of the Teamsters Union in America is James P Hoffa, the son of former President of the Teamsters union, Jimmy Hoffa who “mysteriously” disappeared in 1975. Widely believed that he was disappeared by the Mafia.

But, but the prisons are in Portlaoise.

1 Like

During the 1916 Easter Rising, some Republican leaders, including Pearse and Plunkett, contemplated giving the throne of an independent Ireland to Prince Joachim of Prussia. While they were not in favour of a monarchy in itself, Pearse and Plunkett thought that if the Rising were successful and Germany won the First World War, they would insist on an independent Ireland being a monarchy with a German prince as king, in the same way as Romania and Bulgaria. The fact that Joachim did not speak English was also considered an advantage, as he might be more disposed to learning and promoting the use of the Irish language.

2 Likes

Between 1909 and 1912, Ernest Blythe was a member of the IRB, while simultaneously being an Orange Order member.

3 Likes

Orson Welles, James Mason and Michael Gambon all began their acting career at Dublin’s Gate Theatre.

1 Like

The son is cementing Jimmy’s legacy

14 Likes

POW!

Ooft.

There was a good foundation to build on.

1 Like

On the shoulders of giants (stadium)

1 Like

Judith Love Cohen was an integral part of the creation of the AGS in the Lunar Module that assisted in getting the Astronauts of Apollo 13 home safely once they aborted their Lunar mission. She was pregnant and went into labour at the time she was finishing up her work. She took a copy of the data into the delivery room, completed the work, called her boss and told him the work was complete. She then delivered her baby boy, Thomas Jacob “Jack” Black.

1 Like